What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

charging with a 24 volt cigarette lighter

flying_mel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am considering using the apple supplied automobile cigarette lighter adaptor in my airplane to charge my iPad, but am concerned that I may do damage to the iPad as my plane uses a 24 volt system. I could buy an adapter to convert the cigarette lighter to 12 volts if necessary.

Any advice or experience with this problem?

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a lot of converters available, I actually have used a few that I got from people locally. One thing you have to be careful of is companies advertise online 12/24 volt adapter cigarette lighter plugs, but its misleading as it will say in fine print "12/24 volts, output depends on input volts"

Removable 24 volt to 12 volt DC/DC converters (regulated) from 100 to 150 Watts non-isolated for 24V and 28V airplanes and trucks.
A Man's Toyshop
12 VOLT ACCESSORIES

just for some ideas, on the last link scroll down to the bottom, its on the left side of the page

I have no idea what's inside an airplane as far as electronics. I wired up a German Liebherr crane when I had my stereo installation business and just about everything was 24 volt. But it had a computer system running on 12 volt and actually had a power supply, once I located it I wired the head units (one in the cab, one in the operators cab) and also installed a generic 12 volt "cigarette lighter" socket to charge the operators phone.

If you have a 12 volt supply somewhere you could just wire up a socket, just two wires and a couple of bucks. But if you're anything like me, nothing works out the easy way lol

Last edited:

Most reactions