What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging my ipad 2 through my PC?

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whenever I connect my ipad 2 to my PC, it says "not charging".

Is there a way to get it to charge when hooked up to my PC? Or does it need to be plugged into an outlet?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Typically, the computer is not powerful enough to charge our iPads. It states that it is NOT charging but really it is ~very very slowly.

Is there a reason you prefer to charge this way as opposed via the wall socket?

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:
Whenever I connect my ipad 2 to my PC, it says "not charging".

Is there a way to get it to charge when hooked up to my PC? Or does it need to be plugged into an outlet?

Computer will not charge the iPad because the USB will not have the power needed for the iPad to charge. The power adapter need to be 10 watts and the is no way that the pc can provide that.

iFrog - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Typically, the computer is not powerful enough to charge our iPads. It states that it is NOT charging but really it is ~very very slowly.

Is there a reason you prefer to charge this way as opposed via the wall socket?

Sometimes I don't always have a wall socket within reach so it would be nice to charge it through a computer. I guess that's not an option though.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
The iPad will charge, albeit slowly, from the computer as long as the screen is OFF. It will take roughly 4 times as long to charge via USB on the PC that it would using the wall charger.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It will depend on the available amperage in the USB port. Not all computer USB ports are created equal. If there is not enough power available it will not charge.

-t

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, there is a minimum threshold for the charging circuit to operate so unless you exceed this level no charging will occur.

The iPad will actually report that it is not charging when you plug it in if the circuit has not activated.

-t

Phosen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cnvsin.com
The charging process is usually from input: 240V to Chargers ,then after chargers' changing, the current be flowed into our Ipad, however,if charge just through a usb cable,that's not enough ,as we know,the current is very few,at this hand,it 's not able to charge your ipad

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
It says Not Charging only when the screen is on. Yes, I know it is obvious. However, when the screen is off, I will bet an iPad you get a charge. I have since checked on my older laptop (HP Pavillion) and my MBP. The % battery went up while the screen was OFF. On my MBP, however, it charges with the screen on. If you don't get any charge, you are most likely using a netbook on battery itself, in which case it cuts all power where power isn't needed. Other than very very few (1-2%) of cases, you will get a charge when the power to the screen is turned off.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a way to charge your iPad via USB on a PC, even with the screen on. Google 'Asus AiCharger' and download it. Install it and you iPad will now charge like from a wall charger. What it does actually is to watch out for your iPad. When you connect an iPad via the USB, the program recognizes it, and tells the computer motherboard to provide more power to the USB socket. The iPad, receiving the extra power, will stop saying 'Not charging' and will show the charging icon instead. Charges almost as fast as the wall charger. Note that even though the program was designed for PCs with Asus motherboards, a lot of people have been using it on non-Asus ones problem-free, including me. BTW, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on a Sony VAiO.

- Sent from my BRAND-NEW iPad 2! :D

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a way to charge your iPad via USB on a PC, even with the screen on. Google 'Asus AiCharger' and download it. Install it and you iPad will now charge like from a wall charger. What it does actually is to watch out for your iPad. When you connect an iPad via the USB, the program recognizes it, and tells the computer motherboard to provide more power to the USB socket. The iPad, receiving the extra power, will stop saying 'Not charging' and will show the charging icon instead. Charges almost as fast as the wall charger. Note that even though the program was designed for PCs with Asus motherboards, a lot of people have been using it on non-Asus ones problem-free, including me. BTW, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on a Sony VAiO.

- Sent from my BRAND-NEW iPad 2! :D
I'm using that Asus program on my Toshiba Portege with no problems whatever.

I travel a good bit and being able to plug one item into the wall (my laptop) then my BB and iPad into the USB ports is very handy - and saves me from leaving connectors in hotel rooms around the world!

Most reactions