What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Won't charge when plugged into PC

patroche99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad says "Not Charging" when plugged into my PC laptop. However the syncing does work OK. When I plug it into my MacBook, it does charge. When I plug it into the wall socket it does charge. When I plug my IPod into the aforementioned PC it does charge. Any suggestions to get the IPad to charge with the PC.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some say it doesn't charge when plugged in to PC ~some say it does, but very slowly.

Mine says not charging. I charge it on a wall socket.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may be totally incorrect here but the iPad is charged with 10 volts and not the usual from the laptop which I think is 8 or 9 and that's why it won't charge like your iTouch or iPhone. I charge mine from the wall charger through a dock.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The most likely answer is the power on your USB port is insufficient to charge the iPad however in saying that it is charging but very slow. I personally use the wall adapter as it is fast to charge. The issue with low power USB ports on pc's is mainly with older designs. I have found ASUS and TOSHIBA seem to have a higher voltage USB ports. Hope that helps

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They all use 5 volts, the amperage it what's different. All USB ports by spec are limited to 0.5 amps and will charge an iPad slowly, but it is charging, no matter what it says on the battery icon. The iPad power supply puts out 2.1 amps and will charge it up quite quickly.

power = volts x amps
Therefore the USB port put out 2.5 watts of power and the iPad charger puts out 10.5 watts of power. More power the faster it charges to a point, the internal circuits limit it above that, or the battery might explode or over heat.

My thoughts, is that heat is the enemy of batteries, so I charge mine with the USB port overnight, less heat ( lower power) and the battery will last longer. Just the thoughts of an Electronics Eng. with 40 years of experience.

ParishM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All USB ports by spec are limited to 0.5 amps and will charge an iPad slowly, but it is charging, no matter what it says on the battery icon.

my iPad charges just fine when plugged into my
Mac Mini USB and does not display the "Not Charging"
msg so Macs must not be spec limited.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All USB ports by spec are limited to 0.5 amps and will charge an iPad slowly, but it is charging, no matter what it says on the battery icon.

my iPad charges just fine when plugged into my
Mac Mini USB and does not display the "Not Charging"
msg so Macs must not be spec limited.

My MBP also charges, the iPad, awake or asleep on mains. Should have know that Mr. Jobs would make his own spec for USB, at least it's a better spec and not a less than spec.:)

Simonkey75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipad-answers.com
I got the same thing on my PC - with a Gigabyte motherboard - the iPad would say Not Charging. Not an issue I had when my iTunes Library was on my MacBook (before the Library just became too big to stay on there :))

Funnily enough, even with the No Charging sign, I've actually found that it charges at pretty much the same rate (in terms of percentage) as with the wall plug, so whether this is something that varies from PC motherboard to motherboard, I can't say. Interestingly, my iPod Touch always says its charging when connected to the same PC and iTunes Library.

Most reactions

Latest posts