What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging my ipad 1

mucky1957

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi guys,

I have just been given an ipad 1 and have managed to set it all up but I don't understand something about the charging...can someone explain please...

I have an ipod touch which has a usb lead going into the pc which when connected allows me to sync with itunes and charge the touch at the same time

The ipad came with a plug (charger !) and the usb cable.

here's the issue......

I can plug the ipad into the lead that I use for the ipod touch which does connect me to the pc / itunes etc etc but doesn't seem to charge the ipad. I can use the ipad plug/lead to charge the ipad. If I connect the ipad usb cable directly into the pc it allows me to connect but instead of charging at the same time I get a message (top right on the ipad) which says 'not charging'

Why won't the ipad usb cable allow me to connect to the pc AND charge the ipad at the same time (as happens with the touch)

Also...it took about three hours to charge the ipad from 45% to 100% is this how long a charge normally takes.

thanks in advance.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
USB does not supply sufficient power to charge an iPad at the normal rate. It will charge, but slowly, and the charging indicator will not come on.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
M

mucky1957

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi mate

thanks for the quick response.

so...if I understand correctly...using the ipad usb directly with the pc WILL charge the ipad but takes forever !! are we talking overnight...or longer..any idea.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably overnight. It makes a difference if the screen is off. I've never tried to charge my iPad to 100% using the computer. I always plug it in to an A/C outlet if I'm at home or the 12 volt if I'm in my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

jasandalb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issue. He's right, its a power issue. I went to radio shack and bought the power cord that does the AC jack and USB and problem was solved. The thing was like $25

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$25??? plenty of choice on ebay for around $5...

I think you can also get cables that will allow charging with an external source and simultaneous USB usage (PC, etc)

Most reactions

Latest posts