What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging from computer?

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought the ipad would charge when plugged into a computer via the usb cable, but mine does not. In fact it says "not charging"
Is this normal? Do I need to always use the plug that came with it to charge?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is charging but real slow because. The USB port you are using is for low powered devices
Either get a powered hub that offers hi power support or charge iPod from wall socket

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Col.bris is right the iPad is real picky about the amount of power that the USB ports put out.

Umdterps2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.vikrampant.com
Agreed ... I have one media pc that is devoted to our iPods ... My wife's iPod touch charges fine but with same cable my iPad doesn't charge

Kinda sucks but I go to a wall for charging ... But I get a good 10 hours with basic surfing, video, podcast listening

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tested mine out and the charging time is not significantly different when charging from my mac vs the wall charger

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
If the iPad is in sleep mode, it will charge. If the screen is on, it will not. Test it out!

I will have to check that out.....

I really don't care though, as I sync to a little gateway netbook and it's on it maybe 5 minutes. I am lucky that I do in fact have two wall chargers. I have an old one from the 3 gen iPod, last one they included a wall charger with.... And it works great.

In general I don't trust USB charging anyway. Some products won't care if the compute goes to sleep....etc.

Caps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EDIT;
This is incorrect

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
depends on what you plug it into. If I plug it into my mac pro, no problem charging...plug it into the keyboard I can sync but it says no charging.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
depends on what you plug it into. If I plug it into my mac pro, no problem charging...plug it into the keyboard I can sync but it says no charging.
Note the percentage of power. Plug the iPad in. Put it in sleep mode. Come back in 30min-1HR and recheck the percentage. Did it change? It seem's to charge just fine, as long as the screen is off, and it is sleeping.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how old is your Mac Pro? My three year old MP won't charge (at least with the screen on).

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how old is your Mac Pro? My three year old MP won't charge (at least with the screen on).

G5 and first gen mac pro won't charge. Mine is only about a year old.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G5 and first gen mac pro won't charge. Mine is only about a year old.
Thanks for the info. Too bad my MP (dual quads @ 3GHz) is still enough machine for me. I therefore won't be upgrading any time soon. Funny, I never kept a PC for more than 3 years ;).

Most reactions