What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging Cables

Internomad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no doubt that some of you have come across the problem of finding a quality longer charging cable than the one that Apple supplies with the Ipad 4. I have searched the net and have not been able to find one that has good reviews. So my question is, has anyone found a quality charging cable of at least 2m in length that charges the Ipad 4 and doesn't fall apart at the first use? I'm not looking for a USB cable to charge from my Desktop Computer, just a cable to plug in to my wall socket. Thanks.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that some of you have come across the problem of finding a quality longer charging cable than the one that Apple supplies with the Ipad 4. I have searched the net and have not been able to find one that has good reviews. So my question is, has anyone found a quality charging cable of at least 2m in length that charges the Ipad 4 and doesn't fall apart at the first use? I'm not looking for a USB cable to charge from my Desktop Computer, just a cable to plug in to my wall socket. Thanks.

There is little doubt that the charging cable supplied with your iPad is the way to charge it up. It's too short? Just attach it to an extension cord and you could even charge your iPad from a power point in the next room. I'm not sure I understand your problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
I

Internomad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is already plugged into an extension cord that is at the side of my bed. My problem is that the Apple charging cable supplied is too short, it doesn't reach far enough up onto my bed for me to sit comfortably up in bed with the Ipad on my knees. That is why I have a problem with the charging cable.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Internomad said:
It is already plugged into an extension cord that is at the side of my bed. My problem is that the Apple charging cable supplied is too short, it doesn't reach far enough up onto my bed for me to sit comfortably up in bed with the Ipad on my knees. That is why I have a problem with the charging cable.

I haven't tried it, but could you not simply use a USB extension cable?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried a USB extension cord and found that it took much longer to charge. YMMV. I just went with an electrical extension cord instead, which worked fine. The USB extension cable that I tried was lying around the house from my husband's stash, so I don't know the brand, but he generally buys only brand name cables, for reliability's sake.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The lightning to USB cables are made a specific length for a reason.......
USB 2.0 protocol calls for a maximum cable length of 16ft for data transmission but most companies make them shorter due to cost.

Yes your using it for charging only but remember it also doubles as a data cable for communication to your computer (iTunes).

Doctor Hades

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I managed to find a 2 metre Lightning cable for my iPad 4 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ARQQV7I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It works great and looks and feels like an official lead. It will even recharge the iPad from the mains while it is being used.

I did try another 2 metre cable but for some reason that one would only recharge to 80% then my iPad would complain it was incompatible with the accessory! The battery would also drain while I was using the iPad when connected to the mains with it.

Sent from my iPad 4

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am currently sitting on the floor of my kitchen next to the outlet while I am waiting for my iPad to charge up!

I seriously need a longer extension cord here too! ;)

OP
I

Internomad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I managed to find a 2 metre Lightning cable for my iPad 4 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ARQQV7I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It works great and looks and feels like an official lead. It will even recharge the iPad from the mains while it is being used.

I did try another 2 metre cable but for some reason that one would only recharge to 80% then my iPad would complain it was incompatible with the accessory! The battery would also drain while I was using the iPad when connected to the mains with it.

Sent from my iPad 4

Just so I've got this right (I'm a real noob), the USB end goes into the adapter that plugs into the mains that comes with the Ipad, right?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Internomad said:
Just so I've got this right (I'm a real noob), the USB end goes into the adapter that plugs into the mains that comes with the Ipad, right?

Correct!

Shadow Catcher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DC Voltage drop in wire (particularly small wire) is much greater than in AC, the reason the charging cord is so short, and the reason an extension cord on the DC side charges more slowly.

Last edited:

Agent1191

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When someone mentions an extension, they mean an electrical extension cord that you plug your adapter into. That will give you the extra distance from your wall outlet.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agent1191 said:
When someone mentions an extension, they mean an electrical extension cord that you plug your adapter into. That will give you the extra distance from your wall outlet.

Sometimes, but not always. The OP is talking about a longer charging cable than is supplied with the iPad, not an electrical extension cord.

Last edited:

Doctor Hades

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes. It is exactly the same as the Lightning cable supplied with the iPad, only twice as long. :)

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Phew! Agent1191 has got it.

egu9e6an.jpg

Now we all understand what an extension cord is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts