What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

changing un/lock sounds on ipad 1 - where to find them?

rotation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.

Is there a cydia app for changin unlock and lock sounds on ipad 1?
Where can I find un/lock sounds?
Is there a homepage collecting these?
All I found were some sounds for winterboard - which I don't want to install.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I understand correctly that you would like to change the lock and unlock sound it would be in a theme.
NameOfThe.theme/UISounds/lock.caf
NameOfThe.theme/UISounds/unlock.caf

I do have Winterboard installed and the themes are in /var/stash/Themes.xxxxxx/NameOfThe.theme

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great info Fid, but the OP said they didn't want to use Winterboard to apply themes ;)

OP, if you want to do this "manually", you need to replace the files in

System/Library/Audio/UISounds/

The files are lock.caf and unlock.caf (these are a special format audio file which you will need to create)

But be WARNED! Modifying the stock system files is dangerous. Don't do it unless you know what you are doing! If you mess up your system you may have to restore and may lose your jailbreak.

Winterboard is a file substitution system and therefore very safe and stable. IMHO you should use it, even if only to substitute these 2 files and never apply anything else! Follow Fid's advice and create a theme :)

Last edited:
OP
R

rotation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers :)

Are there any websites specially for lock sounds?

I don't want to use winterboard, because it uses RAM which is already low on ipad 1.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers :)

Are there any websites specially for lock sounds?

I don't want to use winterboard, because it uses RAM which is already low on ipad 1.

It's the themes you apply in Winterboard which have the potential to hog ram. It is simply a file substitution engine and actually very efficient. If all you use it for is to replace these two files with one simple theme the impact will be absolutely minimum, but it's your choice of course.

Sorry, I don't have any sources for lock sounds. Why not just download them from Cydia though. You can then use iFile or your SSH client of choice to retrieve them from the Themes section. You can then remove the packages from Cydia (and Winterboard if necessary) after you have the files saved away of course :)

OP
R

rotation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, that would be an option.

So you say Winterboard does not use Ram but only the themes?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, that would be an option.

So you say Winterboard does not use Ram but only the themes?

No. Be sensible :)
All things use RAM, but Winterboard only uses a little RAM in the grand scheme of things. It is the large themes which folks apply with Winterboard, and replace ALL the graphics on IOS, which use a LOT of RAM. Substituting a couple of sound files to replace lock and unlock sounds will use a tiny amount of RAM.

Most reactions