What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change bookmark icons on homescreen?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Original iPad on 4.3.2 jailbroken. I have winterboard, and I went into the stash/themes/ folder and created a .theme folder, within it an "icons" folder, within that a .png of an icon named after the bookmarks name. Applied the theme but it didn't change.

Is there a way to change the icons of the bookmarks?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I happen to have just learned that springboard bookmarks (the ones you create with Safari) are in this folder: private/var/mobile/Library/WebClips. Each bookmark has it's own folder. And, within each folder, is the .png for the icon. Maybe if you put the new icon there it'll change it? Of course, you'd have to name it exactly the same as the original .png, else the iPad won't "find" it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

On another note, there's an app in the Apple Store called "Touch Icon Creator" ($.99 USD) that will allow you to use your own images to create nice icons for your bookmarks. I usually find the logo for the web site and use that as the image. Ends up that sometimes I can't tell which is a bookmark and which is a genuine App Store icon. Of course, YMMV.

Hope this helps - or comes close to answering your question.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Original iPad on 4.3.2 jailbroken. I have winterboard, and I went into the stash/themes/ folder and created a .theme folder, within it an "icons" folder, within that a .png of an icon named after the bookmarks name. Applied the theme but it didn't change.

Is there a way to change the icons of the bookmarks?

Yes, but this isn't quite right. You need to get the right folder names for the apps, and the icons need a particular name. Honestly, the best way to go about working this out easily is to download a good theme from Cydia and look into it's folder structure to work it out.
Try BlackUPS Darkness iPad as an example. If you can't work it out yourself, post which applications you are tying to change icons for and we'll see if we can help you identify the bundle name...

Also, if you don't mind, I'll move this thread into the hacking section as it is jailbreak / theme related. OK?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Winter board themes are more complicated than just folder in a folder.
New pics have to be the same size, same filename, right folder, right bundle, blah... Blah.....
Check out my winterboard tutorial linked in my signature.
It quite awesome. :D

txteevee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.filmandmediaent.com
Mickey330 said:
Well, I happen to have just learned that springboard bookmarks (the ones you create with Safari) are in this folder: private/var/mobile/Library/WebClips. Each bookmark has it's own folder. And, within each folder, is the .png for the icon. Maybe if you put the new icon there it'll change it? Of course, you'd have to name it exactly the same as the original .png, else the iPad won't "find" it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

On another note, there's an app in the Apple Store called "Touch Icon Creator" ($.99 USD) that will allow you to use your own images to create nice icons for your bookmarks. I usually find the logo for the web site and use that as the image. Ends up that sometimes I can't tell which is a bookmark and which is a genuine App Store icon. Of course, YMMV.

Hope this helps - or comes close to answering your question.

Marilyn

I have been wondering this.... Thanks for the tip. Love this forum!

Most reactions