What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cases, covers and accessories

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kernowguy said:
Does anyone have a complaints email address for apple? I have a cover which I bought at the Apple store at the same time as my iPad 2 a few months back. I have just noticed that the metal bar which locks onto the side of the pad has developed rust spots. These have transferred to the pad itself and are impossible to remove. I am NOT happy. Having bought a product intended to protect the pad it seems to be damaging it even if only cosmetically. I have never got water on the pad. Keep it in in my briefcase or on my desk so have not abused it so am bemused as to why this should happen. Anyone else had similar problems?

All the help options you could wish for are here http://store.apple.com/us/help?mco=Nzc1MjMwOQ

RACOON

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i got a capdase folio for my ipad2, a matte screen protector, and a pacsafe metrosafe 200 bag.

sputnik00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad was getting fluffy spots on its screen so had to get him a front cover.

Picked a Speck FitFolio and it's not bad for a bookcase type case. Overall profile still isn't too bulky.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a Smart cover with front and back shields. At least I did, until today. The back shield is perfectly fine but the screen shield was starting to look tacky and peeling round the edges. So I took it off. Bearing in mind I had it on from the moment of purchase, I knew no different. But oh my gosh what a difference it makes not having it on! The screen was fine before, but is now even more responsive to touch and feels so much better than the shield. I'm going to risk it and not put one back on. It is making me worry a bit, but it feels amazing!

Ya know - Ive been fighting myself on whether or not to bother with a screen protector. They seem hit or miss as far as longevity, they potentially dull the screen or take some vibrancy away, and installation has caused a few people to come up with new swear words. :D The way I see it is this: The screen was made to be touched and therefore the regular act of touching it via while using it wont probably do any damage. Ive only had my ipad 2 for a couple days but wiping off fingerprints has been easy. I just use the micro cloth I use on telescope lenses. No solvents - just some "breath" or a dab or two of lukewarm water does the trick.

I dont see how the screen can get scratched during normal use. If it takes a fall and lands the wrong way - the screen will still crack regardless if a layer of film is over it. I suppose if someone with wicked nails dug in they could scratch it but thats an "edge" test case. Otherwise, ffor now, I'll just go with being careful and doing regular, gentle cleanings.

JAILBIRD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ya know - Ive been fighting myself on whether or not to bother with a screen protector. They seem hit or miss as far as longevity, they potentially dull the screen or take some vibrancy away, and installation has caused a few people to come up with new swear words. :D The way I see it is this: The screen was made to be touched and therefore the regular act of touching it via while using it wont probably do any damage. Ive only had my ipad 2 for a couple days but wiping off fingerprints has been easy. I just use the micro cloth I use on telescope lenses. No solvents - just some "breath" or a dab or two of lukewarm water does the trick.

I dont see how the screen can get scratched during normal use. If it takes a fall and lands the wrong way - the screen will still crack regardless if a layer of film is over it. I suppose if someone with wicked nails dug in they could scratch it but thats an "edge" test case. Otherwise, ffor now, I'll just go with being careful and doing regular, gentle cleanings.

I have to agree here. I've never had a screen protector on my iPad (almost a year) and I don't have a single scratch. I'm just careful with it. I used to use a micro fiber cloth that came with my Vizio TV, then I found an Apple micro fiber cloth at the factory store.

My iPhone4 on the other hand is pretty hammered.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was out shopping yesterday, and bought a screen shield. It's the same as the one I bought before, but this time I watched the YouTube vid on how to apply it. Looking at it now, you wouldn't know it had a skin on. Makes no difference to the clarity on the screen and I'm touch typing this fine.

I had to do it, although I didn't want to... I have two kids who use the iPad, and whilst my daughter is fine, my son... Well every time I kicked it up it was sticky! I don't even know how he does that... I make him wash his hands before using it every time. Anyway, as I kept getting stressed, I bought the shield, and am much more relaxed about the screen now! It also doesn't get the irritating lines from the smart cover, which I had to wipe off before every use.

The one I have is EasiSkins micromend... It is very good.

kernowguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks gabriel1 but the link you gave is for USA. There is nothing appropriate for complaints in UK and my cover is still marking my iPad this will come under sale of goods act in UK as not fit for purpose. So where do I complain?

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kernowguy said:
Thanks gabriel1 but the link you gave is for USA. There is nothing appropriate for complaints in UK and my cover is still marking my iPad this will come under sale of goods act in UK as not fit for purpose. So where do I complain?

I should think where you bought it would be the best place to start. If you take it back and start there, you can ask for a complaints procedure. But you could also Google Apple customer services and their contact page comes up.

wayne1983

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive ordered one of these, ive got a smart cover in orange. Im not sure what to get for the back though for protection.
Its an expensive piece of equipment so want to try and make sure its got some protection!:eek:
Whats peoples best views on a good strong back protector for ipad 2 please as im looking but you cant beat peoples experience and opinions, cheers.:)

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well - I went ahead and ordered a Great Shield, splash-masque screen protectors, and an Acase stylus from Amazon. So, with these items and my CaseCrown Bold case, I should be fully protected and ready for "safe" iPad-ing from here on out. :D

wayne1983

iPF Noob
Reaction score

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Currently, I've got nothing - no smart cover, cck, nada. I'm thinking of getting the Zaggmate case with keyboard...

Schmid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the zagg front cover and a belkin iPad case. I also have a stylus made by targus which works really well with note taking and drawing apps

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Update - I received my Casecrown Bold case for my iPad2 last night and its a really nice unit. Lightweight, feels well assembled, and has a few ways to stand the iPad at an agle on a tabeltop for easy typing & reading. The iPad fits nicely and securely in the case. Very happy with my purchase - I just couldnt/wouldnt go spending a ton of money on a case. This was under $25 bucks to my door.

Recommended! :)

Most reactions