What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't wait for the new iBooks!

RobertBasil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertbasil.com
I know it's not going to be released till "the end of June" but I am VERY excited about being able to read PDF's in iBooks without having to convert them to an ePub format with calibre!

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They're a little late though, as most people have some sort of PDF reader already.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly I didn't see a single thing in that conference that made it worth my time to follow. :(

I converted 209 eBooks from lrt to ePub in less than 30 minutes...so for me the iBooks thing is meaningless because I don't read enough PDF files.

OP
RobertBasil

RobertBasil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertbasil.com
Most of the PDF's I convert are between 30 and 60 megs in size. They are all graphic intensive so while converting mostly lrt text files might be fast, large PDF's take a lot longer.

Plus my graphic intensive PDF's don't always convert correctly with calibre.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, true. Of course one of the eBooks I downloaded from iBooks didn't exactly convert right either lol.

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, pdf is the way to go! Can't wait. I think the way ebooks work specially formatting suck. And I'm not talking about math and physics books, but poetry and bilingual books, other academic classics. Ebooks are just lazy text files, basically. No formating, consistent page numbers (widescreen or portrait), between editions, etc. PDF is the tries and true standard to preserve text. Hope all ebooks can be available in .pdf too, specially the classics.

Bring on pdfs!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Damn I've hated pdf's for years and adobe's software but got to admit this is a nice addition to iBooks. Just hope Fall is early this year for iPad users...

OP
RobertBasil

RobertBasil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertbasil.com
Damn I've hated pdf's for years and adobe's software but got to admit this is a nice addition to iBooks. Just hope Fall is early this year for iPad users...

The iBooks update is separate from the iOS4 update. The iBooks update is due for iPad users the "end of June" according to Apple.

Ellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just found your thread. I wrote one just now asking if it comes out in June. Hooray!!!!:comingsoon:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bet it opens up how many new books come out as well....I suspect you will see a lot more free books in PDF format or at least things like manuals, etc.

mayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know it's not going to be released till "the end of June" but I am VERY excited about being able to read PDF's in iBooks without having to convert them to an ePub format with calibre!
Totally agree.... Being able to open / save PDF's in one spot and not having to convert them with Calibre is what I'm waiting for in IOS4's iBook app. Will iPad be getting new iBoobs the end of June or do we need to wait for iOS4 when it gets released for iPad?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Iboobs?

Lol

Anyhow steve jobs said expect the iBooks as an app update in the app store by the end of June in the wwdc conference

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Totally agree.... Being able to open / save PDF's in one spot and not having to convert them with Calibre is what I'm waiting for in IOS4's iBook app. Will iPad be getting new iBoobs the end of June or do we need to wait for iOS4 when it gets released for iPad?

Gave me a smile, thank you :)

Most reactions

Latest posts