What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't upgrade a jailbreaked ipad

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, sorry, I'm lost. I've never seen this not resolved with correction to the hosts file and DFU mode.

Have you tried to cook a sn0wbreeze 4.3.3 custom firmware and install it, rather than just the stock one?

The only other thing I can suggest it try another USB port, and then try someone elses PC to restore it...

OP
E

eyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried to cook a sn0wbreeze 4.3.3 custom firmware and install it, rather than just the stock one?

Yes, this is the first thing I did when I started this upgrade nightmare :confused:

The only other thing I can suggest it try another USB port, and then try someone elses PC to restore it...

This is a thing I haven't tried, so I'll do it now.

Frenchroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eyp said:
Well, I've enter into DFU mode using sn0wbreeze so it was for sure in DFU mode. Then I've opened iTunes, Shift+Restore -> after preparing for update seversal minutes I've got the 1601 error again.

I think this is impossible, very strange, but I don't think I'll be able to update the device.

Try different pc, different cable, different USB port, no such thing as impossible to upgrade to latest fw

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
eyp said:
I've followed the steps at [http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-itunes-error-3194-when-restoring-updating-to-stock-or-custom-4.3.3-firmware/] to avoid the 3194 error:

But now I've got the 1601 error. Always the same as I wrote in my first post.

Solution
Completely remove iTunes and Apple Mobile Device support and then reinstall latest iTunes. Click the appropriate link below for instructions on how to accomplish this for your operating system.
Via:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38633?viewlocale=en_US

Last edited:
OP
E

eyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eyp said:
I've followed the steps at [http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-itunes-error-3194-when-restoring-updating-to-stock-or-custom-4.3.3-firmware/] to avoid the 3194 error:

But now I've got the 1601 error. Always the same as I wrote in my first post.

Solution
Completely remove iTunes and Apple Mobile Device support and then reinstall latest iTunes. Click the appropriate link below for instructions on how to accomplish this for your operating system.
Via:
Error 1601 or 1602 when restoring iPhone or iPod touch in iTunes

Thanks, because yesterday I uninstalled iTunes, but after reboot/reinstall it was as it I'd never uninstalled it. I'll try it this afternoon.

DDuce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eyp said:
My hosts file as it is now:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.198 HP000D9D10866A
#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
#74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Ummm, don't you need to remove those hashtags in front of the apple adresses? I believe they are the 'comment' tags for putting stuff in the hosts file that won't be used.

Give it a go.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
DDuce said:
Ummm, don't you need to remove those hashtags in front of the apple adresses? I believe they are the 'comment' tags for putting stuff in the hosts file that won't be used.

Give it a go.

No he NEEDS to be pointing at Apple. Uncommenting those will point him elsewhere and reintroduce the 3194 error.
OUTL4W is right, we both suggested at the very start he must be on the latest iTunes, and assumed he was doing that.
It sure sounds as though he isn't or his installation is corrupt. If you uninstall and it is still there, there is something's seriously wrong... He needs to resolve the iTunes issue.

Last edited:
OP
E

eyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, finally I uninstalled everything related with Apple from my PC.
I've deleted even Documents And Settings\User\Model Data\iTunes directory.

Then I've tried to restore it from the beginning in DFU mode, so Windows have recognized a new DFU mode device. But in the end I've got the same 1601 error, so the next try will be doing it in another computer.

What if I install an older iTunes version like 8 or 9?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would always suggest latest iTunes, not older. There is no situation with iPad that I am aware of that requires an old version of iTunes.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that even possible?

Yes, you can install any old version of iTunes you like. There's even a website dedicated to old versions.
It's just they will lack the features and support for latest devices. In the old days Apple used to be able to block some jailbreaking, particularly on iPhone / ipod Touch, by updating iTunes so you did have to use particular versions if you wanted to jailbreak, but those days are well and truly behind us (for now at least).

Reaction score
Well, downgrading iTunes will not be helpful. iTunes 9.1 is the earliest version, which supports the iPad, but only iOS 3.x. If the iPad already has iOS 4.x installed, or more specifically 4.3.x, then the newest iTunes version should be used, as older iTunes versions won't work with that iOS version.

DDuce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
No he NEEDS to be pointing at Apple. Uncommenting those will point him elsewhere and reintroduce the 3194 error.
OUTL4W is right, we both suggested at the very start he must be on the latest iTunes, and assumed he was doing that.
It sure sounds as though he isn't or his installation is corrupt. If you uninstall and it is still there, there is something's seriously wrong... He needs to resolve the iTunes issue.

Yeah I got that, but commenting it out means it won't be used, so it isn't pointing to the Apple servers. Might be wrong, but the other adresses don't have a hashtag either, and they work.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I got that, but commenting it out means it won't be used, so it isn't pointing to the Apple servers. Might be wrong, but the other adresses don't have a hashtag either, and they work.

Sorry, you are wrong. You are assuming those IP addresses are Apple. They are NOT. They are cydia's signature server, localhost (for TinyUmbrella TSS Server), and an alternative cydia address respectively.

The point of the hosts file is (amongst other things) to point a website somewhere OTHER than it should be. If you want to point to Apple you should have nothing in there for gs.apple.com, or at least have everything commented out, which he does.
You use the hosts file to OVERRIDE the destination of a hostname, not to set it to it's legitimate home. That is what DNS servers are for.

Trust me, his hosts file is right if he wants to get his blobs from Apple. I would be happier if he just deleted the commented out gs.apple.com lines for tidiness, but it will work as posted.

Last edited:

Most reactions