What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't upgrade a jailbreaked ipad

eyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an ipad 1 with 3.2 iOS which I jailbreaked with Spirit a while ago. I'm trying to update it to 4.3.3 because I want to jailbreak it again after that.

Well, I've tried several methods to do it, but I can't get it.

* First of all I have to say I have some SHSH files saved with TinyUmbrella, but none of them is 3.2, the older I have is 3.2.1. Also, I have the lastest iTune's version.

* I've tried redsn0w 0.9.6 r16, but then I realized I had to upgrade to 4.3.3 first.
* I've tried with sn0wbreeze 2.7, but always get 3194 error, so I've deleted entries for 'gs.apple.com' from hosts file, then I get 160X error. But I can't go forward, always stuck on the same errors.

Any ideas about how can I do it? or it is impossible because I don't have an 3.2 SHSH saved? Is it possible to avoid 3194 error using an older version of iTunes?

Thanks in advance.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried upgrading to official 4.3.3 first?...that's what I had to do when I was JB on 4.2.1....kept getting the error 1600 when trying to update to 4.3.2 JB directly. Then once on 4.3.3 then you can JB with which ever method you want.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What I would suggest, assuming you want to jailbreak 4.3.3, is as follows:

First, ensure you have no entry in your hosts for gs.apple.com. Double check and make sure it is removed. Also make sure you have the LATEST iTunes.

Next, you need to do a clean stock 4.3.3 restore in iTunes. To do that you need to put the iPad in DFU mode first. No other method will work. There are instructions in the sticky thread in this section (DFU for Dummies).

You will not get the 3194 or 16xx errors if you follow the two steps above.

Then, once you have 4.3.3 installed, I suggest you use redsn0w to jailbreak it. A tutorial is available in our tutorial and guides section (link in my sig)

Hope that helps.

OP
E

eyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I would suggest, assuming you want to jailbreak 4.3.3, is as follows:

First, ensure you have no entry in your hosts for gs.apple.com. Double check and make sure it is removed. Also make sure you have the LATEST iTunes.
Next, you need to do a clean stock 4.3.3 restore in iTunes. To do that you need to put the iPad in DFU mode first. No other method will work. There are instructions in the sticky thread in this section (DFU for Dummies).

You will not get the 3194 or 16xx errors if you follow the two steps above.

I think I have done all of this, but I'll do it again this afternoon when I be at home.

Frenchroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eyp said:
I think I have done all of this, but I'll do it again this afternoon when I be at home.

Try putting it in dfu mode, then open iTunes, hold shift, click restore, then point to a 4.3.3 fw somewhere on your computer

OP
E

eyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eyp said:

Try putting it in dfu mode, then open iTunes, hold shift, click restore, then point to a 4.3.3 fw somewhere on your computer

I've done it right now... DFU mode (black screen), then open iTunes, then iTunes has recognized a device in recovery mode, so I've selected the ipws that iTUnes downloaded previously then.... ERROR 3194. So I can't go forward, I don't know what more can I do :(

Frenchroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eyp said:
I've done it right now... DFU mode (black screen), then open iTunes, then iTunes has recognized a device in recovery mode, so I've selected the ipws that iTUnes downloaded previously then.... ERROR 3194. So I can't go forward, I don't know what more can I do :(

Google "error 3194" and click on the first link, wasn't sure if I could post links on this forum and try pointing to a 4.3.3 other than the one iTunes downloaded !

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
3194 only happens when you are not pointing to Apple for your blobs. There is a sticky in the guides section about it. Post the contents of your hosts file here please, so I can check.

OP
E

eyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My hosts file as it is now:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.198 HP000D9D10866A
#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
#74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

OP
E

eyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've followed the steps at [http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-itune...-updating-to-stock-or-custom-4.3.3-firmware/] to avoid the 3194 error:

Step 1: Download the latest version of TinyUmbrella for Windows or Mac.

Step 2: Switch to “Advanced” tab and uncheck “Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit” option.

Step 3: Click on “Apply Changes”, followed by restarting your PC or Mac.

That’s it! You should now be able to successfully restore or update your iPhone to iOS 4.3.3 firmware.

But now I've got the 1601 error. Always the same as I wrote in my first post.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1601 usually indicates you are not in DFU mode?

You could also try putting the device in pwned DFU mode using sn0wbreeze before you shift-restore
This has been known to work also.

And finally, it is stock 4.3.3 you are trying to restore, yes?

Last edited:
OP
E

eyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1601 usually indicates you are not in DFU mode?

You could also try putting the device in pwned DFU mode using sn0wbreeze before you shift-restore

Ok, I'll give it another try, although I've already done it before posting here.

And finally, it is stock 4.3.3 you are trying to restore, yes?

Yes, I've downloaded it today, but also I've tried to restore with a sn0wbreeze patched one, but didn't work.

OP
E

eyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I've enter into DFU mode using sn0wbreeze so it was for sure in DFU mode. Then I've opened iTunes, Shift+Restore -> after preparing for update seversal minutes I've got the 1601 error again.

I think this is impossible, very strange, but I don't think I'll be able to update the device.

Most reactions