What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't open .pptm (powerpoint) files in IOS7 - error 912

elle_moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone else experienced this and is there a known fix? It's the same on both my ipad2 and ipad mini, both of which I upgraded to iOS7 recently.
I can open word docs, PDF and also PPTX files but not .PPTM?

I get an error message: office import error domain error 912

I have tried:
1) restart
2) resetting all settings (settings>general>reset>reset all settings)
3 resetting device (holding sleep/wake and home buttons)

But none of these have fixed the issue.
The pptm files in question are NOT password protected so I know it's not that

Any ideas?

Elle

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Elle,

What app are you trying to view the PowerPoint presentation in?

Has the app been updated for iOS 7?

And finally, have you tried other apps to open the PPT?

The Archangel

OP
E

elle_moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Elle, What app are you trying to view the PowerPoint presentation in? Has the app been updated for iOS 7? And finally, have you tried other apps to open the PPT? The Archangel

Hi, trying to view it in Safari - I log into my work email via webmail (on Safari) and try to open from there. It worked ok in iOS6 and also then gave me the option (once the file was open) to display in Office HD as well

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, trying to view it in Safari - I log into my work email via webmail (on Safari) and try to open from there. It worked ok in iOS6 and also then gave me the option (once the file was open) to display in Office HD as well

Instead isn't of opening it can you touch and hold the filename to see if it will give you the "open in" option?

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
PPTM is not listed as a viewable format for Mail. Should be the same for Safari.

Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)
Apple - iPad - View all the technical specifications.

I see the page has already been updated for iOS 7, so I can't tell if it was dropped from iOS 6 or not.

Looks like your only options is to do as Gabriel says and Use Open In to copy it directly to a compatible app.

OP
E

elle_moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PPTM is not listed as a viewable format for Mail. Should be the same for Safari. I see the page has already been updated for iOS 7, so I can't tell if it was dropped from iOS 6 or not. Looks like your only options is to do as Gabriel says and Use Open In to copy it directly to a compatible app.

Ok thanks for your help. Maybe I was mistaken that it worked in iOS6

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose someone who is still on iOS 6 could test it, but that wouldn't really help you now that you're on iOS 7.

Good luck trying Gabriel's solution, and please let us know if you get it to work, or not.

OP
E

elle_moon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Instead isn't of opening it can you touch and hold the filename to see if it will give you the "open in" option? The Archangel

Hi, tried this but it doesn't give me the option - just 'open' or 'add to reading list' which resisted in the same issue. I can open most PowerPoint files, just not with this extension type. Will just have to ask colleagues sending these to re save as ppt I guess.
Thanks for your help and suggestions though, really appreciate it

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, tried this but it doesn't give me the option - just 'open' or 'add to reading list' which resisted in the same issue. I can open most PowerPoint files, just not with this extension type. Will just have to ask colleagues sending these to re save as ppt I guess. Thanks for your help and suggestions though, really appreciate it

Are the files publicly available?

The Archangel

Most reactions