What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Powerpoint for iPad" - "cannot open file" pptx "may be corrupted"

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all... Is it just me? All my pptx files are failing to open in the Powerpoint for iPad app. I get the msg "Cannot open file. The file may be corrupted". Ppt files open ok.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's not possible. You can't have a corrupt file in your iPad. Unless of course its from your PC.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all... Is it just me? All my pptx files are failing to open in the Powerpoint for iPad app. I get the msg "Cannot open file. The file may be corrupted". Ppt files open ok.

Could it be that the iPad app cannot read .pptx files? I researched Microsoft's web site, but could find nothing about .ppt versus .pptx. And, I don't have the app - but maybe someone who does can check, too?

So, it may not be you - it may be that the app can only go with .ppt (given that .pptx is a relatively new format).

If that's the case, your only solution, really, is to contact the app's developer's/support. So, hopefully someone will come along to answer with yes or no on whether their app works properly...

Marilyn

OP
J

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Could it be that the iPad app cannot read .pptx files? ... So, it may not be you - it may be that the app can only go with .ppt (given that .pptx is a relatively new format).

Hi Mickey330... highly likely you're correct as my research also revealed no helpful information. It would appear that pptx in Powerpoint for iPad either has a bug or isn't supported. You would have thought Microsoft would have supported their latest file format. The pptx format was introduced in MS Office 2007. Most businesses nowadays use 2007 or later. Many business iPad users have been waiting a long time for Office for iPad, not least for proper format rendering that none of the 3rd party apps have been able the fully achieve. Epic fail Microsoft. I hope it gets resolved soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts