What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 6 jailbreak giving me lots of errors??

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering in anyone could help me out, I've just jailbroken both iPad 4 and iPhone 4s to IOS 6.1, jailbreak was successful with no errors whatsoever, as soon as I opened cydia it gave me some yellow and 1 red error, now i'm trying to install a most common tweak which is SBSettings but it gives me the following error: netdb: open nodename nor servname provided, or not known
How can I fix this? I've tried to reset network settings as I've read by looking it up on the net but nothing, I've tried to go to changes and hit refresh but still nothing, what else can I do? Thanks a lot to anyone that'll help me

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not you, it's Cydia - the servers are getting hammered. Cydia is merely a re-direct point to the actual servers that host the tweaks and right now, thousands upon thousands of people are trying to get at the tweaks. The system can't handle the load.

The only advice is to have patience and keep trying. Oh, and past experience has proven this can take days to resolve. There are just that many people trying to funnel in at one time.

As with the jail break - have patience because, eventually, the traffic will subside and you'll be able to get in.

Marilyn

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not you, it's Cydia - the servers are getting hammered. Cydia is merely a re-direct point to the actual servers that host the tweaks and right now, thousands upon thousands of people are trying to get at the tweaks. The system can't handle the load.

The only advice is to have patience and keep trying. Oh, and past experience has proven this can take days to resolve. There are just that many people trying to funnel in at one time.

As with the jail break - have patience because, eventually, the traffic will subside and you'll be able to get in.

Marilyn

Thank you very much Marilyn, you're super kind as usual, I had just one last little question, if I were to go back to 5.1.1 (I'm not even sure I can, haven't checked yet) I'd still have the same problem right? Or the cydia that there's on 5.1.1 is different thatn 6.1? Thanks a lot again

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, you can't go back to iOS 5.1.1. Sorry.

But, it wouldn't make any difference. Even if you could get to iOS 5.1.1, you'd still have the same affect at Cydia.

As an example, I just went to Cydia on my iPad3 that is still running iOS 5.1.1. I got exactly the same error as I'm currently getting on my newly jail broken iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1. And, I've had Cydia on my iPad 3 for a year (!).

The servers are being hammered and it doesn't matter who is trying to get there. It's going to take time for the "crowd" to clear out. Just pretend it's the end of a big game and you are waiting for the parking lot to clear. There's lots of congestion - but it will clear.

So, again, hang in there. This is not new nor abnormal behavior. :)

Marilyn

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you very much Marilyn, you've really been most kind in helping me sorting this out, I really appreciate it, you're always super kind. Thanks a lot again!

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Timey said:
Thank you very much Marilyn, you've really been most kind in helping me sorting this out, I really appreciate it, you're always super kind. Thanks a lot again!

I have run into the same problems. I have jail broken various devices since iOS 4.3.3 and have encountered the same types of problems. Cydia servers cannot be expected to handle the amount of traffic they are seeing right now. Please be patient, in hindsight you will be glad that you did. Apple has billions to ensure they can serve their users needs the folks at Cydia have only hundreds or perhaps thousands.

If you can reach cydia then you can relax in knowing that your device has been jail broken properly.

Btw. I have had similar problems today. I cannot install cydia apps that I know I should be able to install, but I know that it is just a matter of waiting. It is just the way things are considering that Apple doesn't allow us to make the changes to our devices that we wish to make.

It may be a day or so until cydia servers can handle the traffic, hang in there, you will be glad you did.

wrathchild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the point of jailbreaking if you can't do anything on it. Everything I've tried to install keeps giving me errors. Even at 5 in the morning I'm still having problems. I can't believe it's because the serverr are overloaded. Can't install sources, can't install packages, nothing. How can you tell if it's server overload or a bad jailbreak?

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wrathchild said:
What's the point of jailbreaking if you can't do anything on it. Everything I've tried to install keeps giving me errors. Even at 5 in the morning I'm still having problems. I can't believe it's because the serverr are overloaded. Can't install sources, can't install packages, nothing. How can you tell if it's server overload or a bad jailbreak?

Try doing that after a week

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Just for reassurance - it REALLY is the load on all the servers, it's not you. Honestly! This always, always happens on a new jail break. This one was was particularly rough (per saurik, owner of Cydia) because everyone in the world got on the servers at the same time. Usually, it's more of a rapidly increasing stream of access, which allowed the servers to stay up with the flow. This time it was like a firehose!

Have a re-read of the post right above yours, especially this line:

If you can reach cydia then you can relax in knowing that your device has been jail broken properly.

After many years of doing this, I can honestly say that this will pass. Everyone must exercise some patience. And I am including myself in this - cause I, too, want my favorite tweaks NOW! :)

Still - hang in there and in a bit you will be fully enjoying your jail break.

Marilyn

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is nothing new in the JB community;) I finally threw in the towel last night, gave it a try again this morning and was able to successfully install quite a few tweaks. So long as you're patient, Cydia will settle down and be running smoothly in a few days.

Best of Luck!

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Read this before you complain: Look, I mostly do this because I find it meaningful. It pays miserably, and yet ... | Hacker News

cydia6hits.png

Most reactions

Latest posts