What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't log on to a wifi network, why not?

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, I logged on to a free wifi network offered by my local garage. The network requires no password and I logged on automatically and immediately.

This morning I returned for some further work and was unable to log on.

I could see the network, it moved to the "upper part" of the Settings > Wifi page and I got the spinning wheel - but it never connected. I had a full signal strength according the the "fan" symbol.

I "forgot" the network and tried again, I "forgot" the network and restarted the iPad, I "forgot" the network and reset the iPad and none of those actions allowed me to connect, all I got was the continuously spinning wheel.

Another customer logged on through his iPhone with no trouble as did an Android user. The garage staff conformed that, to the best of their knowledge, their network was working as normal.

It's a little academic now as I shall not be back there for quite a time, but for future reference if this happens elsewhere why could I not log on and what troubleshooting steps should I have taken to correct whatever was wrong?

jasondinh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could be a problem on their network with your MAC address, if that's the case nothing you can do about it.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Could be but they assure me that there have been no changes to their configuration between me logging off a couple of days before and failing to log on the next time.

OK, they are by and large motor mechanics, salesmen and service receptionists and not IT people, but I'm prepared to believe them as they have nothing to lose by me getting access.

It may well remain one of life's great mysteries until I return for the next service!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should suggest that they reset their router as this can often solve the connection problems for some devices.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with scifan the router should be switched off then on again as this usually fixes the issue. The fact that other devices do work may not mean any thing as in most cases the age of the routers may be the issue with some Apple devices and also even Android devices. This is a know fact and has been resolved many time by replacing the modem router or router. The problem one has with free wifi hot spots like this is they in many cases unreliable. You are better off using your smart phone assuming you have one to act as a hot spot than rely on flaky free wifi hot spots.

Most reactions

Latest posts