What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can’t find 53GB worth of airdropped files!

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I airdropped 53 GB worth of files from an M1 Mac Mini to an 2nd Gen 12.9” iPad Pro. The amount of occupied space shown under iPad storage look right after taking on the additional 53GB, but I see no trace of these files in the Files app or in Photos.

Are there other ways to locate all this stuff? I searched by the name of the directory I shared via AirDrop. No match on the iPad.

Thank you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Assuming the files were not images, you might be able to find them by pulling down on the Home Screen and entering a file name in the search box. I’m not sure if it is possible to search for directory names. I should check that out.

When you accepted the AirDrop on the iPad it should have asked you were you wanted to save the files (if they were not images). If Images, they certainly should have gone to Photos.

53 GB is a really big AirDrop, and should have taken several minutes to transfer. If you accidentally interrupted it by shutting down the Mac or iPad, maybe they didn’t get transfered. Or if you checked too soon, maybe they were still in limbo.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Then it probably did not complete. There should have been a dialog letting you pick a folder.

I did a little experimenting from my MacBook Air, and I found that all the PDF files I tried failed in the manner you described; selecting Files and nothing happens. Most other file types open the Files app and let me pick a destination folder. Images go direct to Photos.

No idea what is going on, but this is not expected behavior.

BTW, if I select Documents (my PDF editor) the PDF files get opened on the iPad as expected.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's a workaround you can use until Apple fixes the glitch (hopefully in the near future.

On your Mac, go to Preferences and Sharing. Enable File Sharing and take note of the SMB address provided. I'm not sure what it will look like for you. I'm using the latest version of Mac OS. but I know this feature has not changed much over the last few versions; in function if not in appearance.

In the Files app on your iPad, tap on the (...) icon at the top right of the left column. Choose the connect to server option and enter the SMB address noted. It should look something like smb://192.169.1.29

It should has you for a user name and password. Use your Mac Mini login info. If it's an admin account, you'll get full access to the Mac's hard drive. If you want more limited access, then set up a user with the level of access you're comfortable with and use that login.

The connection should appear under a Shared header in the left column.

Or you can just use a thumb drive. Easier to do if your iPad has a USB-C port. Troublesome if it's a Lightning port.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the Settings app, choose General / iPad Storage / On My iPad. It may show you where the files are located.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Then it probably did not complete. There should have been a dialog letting you pick a folder.

I did a little experimenting from my MacBook Air, and I found that all the PDF files I tried failed in the manner you described; selecting Files and nothing happens. Most other file types open the Files app and let me pick a destination folder. Images go direct to Photos.

No idea what is going on, but this is not expected behavior.

BTW, if I select Documents (my PDF editor) the PDF files get opened on the iPad as expected.
What makes this really weird, is that I got the Air Drop “Progress Circle” around the icon of the iPad, to which the files were being airdropped. The process took an hour. Since I can’t find the files, I spent an hour on…sending them into outer space?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Probably saved to temporary storage, which never got filed. That would explain why you iPad showed the 53 GB used. The last should have been temporary, the space cleaned back out eventually. It’s even possible (I don’t know) that the space was never actually used, just reserved for the incoming files.

AirDrop was meant as a quick convinent way to send files to other people’s devices; so it does not ask where you want to place a file until after the process is underway. If anything breaks, none of the files end up saved on the destination device; whether they were actually transferred or not. This is probably to make sure that the receiving person does not end up with unwanted/unaccepted files on their devices.

I’d never considered using it for large file/folder transfers. I‘m even a little surprised it let you try. Now, I’m definitly not going to use it that way. Waiting an hour for a process to finish just to have it fail because you could not select a destination is troublesome. After all, even if the system made no errors, it’s way too easy to accidentally tap the wrong thing at the end and get unwanted results.

That said, it sounds like something Apple might want to address, either by making it clear that the service is unsuitable for large file transfers, or preventing it.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is definitely an area of great concern, allied IMO to the overall project of bringing true file management to the iPad.

I always feel, when I try to manage my files, that I'm on borrowed time, sooner or later some little bit will have a snit and the whole process tossed into the drink.

Don El

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is definitely an area of great concern, allied IMO to the overall project of bringing true file management to the iPad.

I always feel, when I try to manage my files, that I'm on borrowed time, sooner or later some little bit will have a snit and the whole process tossed into the drink.
Can someone direct me to a comprehensive discussion of current file management on the iPad?
I now have both iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd and 3rd Generation (I still prefer the home button and headphone jack on the 2nd Gen!!).
It appears that I will be forever tethered to either iTunes on my PC or some cloud storage service in order to make sense of the files on the iPad?? On the PC we have so much more flexibility in uploading, downloading, moving, adding, deleting, sorting, renaming files, etc., etc. The iPad is nowhere near that; it appears I'm permanently chained to iTunes!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It should not be necessary to use iTunes for anything file related these days. The Files app gives you access to both the local storage and most cloud or network storage solutions. You can add shared folder from your PC to the iPad in the Files app. This includes high level folders with multiple subfolders, like your user folder on the PC.

To do this share the folder on your PC, and make note of it’s address. Go to Files on the iPad, tap the (…) icon and add a server. Use the address you found on the PC.

The iPad User Guide covers the basics of the Files app fairly well. You can find it in eBook format in the iBooks store (for free), or view the web version here: Apple - Support - Manuals

There used to be a PDF version. I haven’t seen a link to it in a while. but I wouldn’t be surprised if a bit of searching showed one up.

Be sure to get the right manual for you current iPadOS version.

I’m sure there are more comprehensive books, and maybe one of the other forum members can recommend one. I’ve found the user guide sufficient, along with a little exploration and experimentation.

There are other ways to share files between you iPad and computer. Many document/PDF apps include the ability to transfer files via the PC’s web browser. Instructions on how to use it vary by app, but are usually clearly layed out when you choose that option. In Documents by Readdle the option is Computer, and it tells you what address to enter in the PC’s browser, and supplies a security code to make sure no random person is accessing that address.

I prefer using iCloud, OneDrive, and Google Drive (in that order of preference). iCloud is easy to use on all my Apple products, and I trust the security. OneDrive is easier for my Microsoft apps and my only Windows device. Google is the option when my Google Headed friends need me to share files or workflows. That’s pretty rare these days.

Don El

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll get acquainted with Documents by Readdle; I just downloaded it from the apple store.

Most reactions