What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot transfer purchased apps (4.3.5)

longrob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I want to upgrade from 4.3.5.

I have done a backup, which was the first strange thing in that the backup finished in about 20 secs (is this normal ?)

The second strange thing is that when I do "File->Transfer Purchases From" it says
"Some of the Purchased items on the IPad could not be transferred to your iTunes library because you are not authorised for them on this computer. To authorize this computer chose Store->Authorize this computer". There is a list of 71 items.

When I select Store->Authorize this computer, it asks me for my Apple ID password, which I input, then it says "This computer is already authorised. Including this one, you have authorised one computer out of your available 5.", and when I go back to "File->Transfer Purchases From" exactly the same thing is repeated (it says "Some of the Purchased items on the IPad could not be transferred to your iTunes library because you are not authorised for them on this computer"). Rinse and repeat.

Please advise !!

Thanks !
LR

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First obvious question, are you sure the Apple ID you are using on your iPad to purchase those 71 apps matches the Apple ID you have logged in to iTunes on your PC with?

I've seen folks using different ID's with the same password before. That simply won't work! ;)

The backup taken by iTunes is incremental, therefore it is perfectly normal to take a short amount of time IF nothing much has changed on the device since the last backup was taken.

Last edited:
OP
L

longrob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply ! This ipad used to be my wife's and this is her ID and password. She told me that when she bought it, her friend installed all these 71 apps.

I suppose my next question is: if the backup has worked, and I don't transfer these applications, what will happen when I upgrade to ios 6 ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you'll lose the 71 apps when you upgrade. But - that's by design. Per Apple's EULA, you can't share or transfer apps from one account to another - so those 71 apps aren't yours. Your wife's friend had no authority to "give" those apps to you when she sold/gave away the iPad. The only thing you can do is upgrade and then buy those apps if you want them.

But, the backup for the iPad will be fine (except for those apps). All the data, settings and apps (that are under your wife's ID) will be there after you upgrade and select "restore from backup."

As a side note - Apple does allow immediate family members to share apps, so may I recommend you keep using your wife's Apple ID. That way, you can put the majority of your apps back on after upgrading to iOS 6.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Most reactions