What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you use the same cellular data on two different ipads?

almoinaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got an iPad 3 (which I love!) and gave my mom my old iPad 2, and I want to know if I can use the same cellular data account on both my iPad 3 and my mom's iPad 2?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not at that same time.

Doesnt iPad 3 use a diff SIM card from iPad 2?

I use the same SIM card interchangeably between my iPad 1 and 2 (not at the same time), but only because they use the same type of SIM card.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
you can put the iPad 1/2 sim in the new iPad however the new iPad won't get 4G it will only get 3G with the old simcard.

To get 4G speeds you can simply just sign into your cellular account on the new iPad and it will deactivate the old iPad and activate the new iPad on your account.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can put the iPad 1/2 sim in the new iPad however the new iPad won't get 4G it will only get 3G with the old simcard.

To get 4G speeds you can simply just sign into your cellular account on the new iPad and it will deactivate the old iPad and activate the new iPad on your account.

Thanks. Do you know what happens if you've activated 4G on a SIM and put it into an iPad 1 or 2? Does it work on 3G at that point, till you swap it back into a 4G iPad (as long as there's 4G service where you are)?

OP
A

almoinaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the fast response! Kind of a bummer though...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Depending on your carrier and plan, you might be able to use iPad 3 to serve as a hot spot for other devices (including iPad), as long as you're in range of each other.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Just like how they make you pay for each cellphone you have, they charge you for each iPad you have.

If you have Verizon iPad you can turn on hotspot and let the other iPad share the internet when both iPads are in the same area together.

Most reactions

Latest posts