What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you change font size or style anywhere on the 3?

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an ipad2 and sold it a few months ago, thinking I could live without it and just use our laptop for net and get a Kindle for mp3s & books. Well, I hated it. The iPad was so easy and smart and did it all.
So last night, I bought a 3. It is the 4g AT&T 64 model in white(had the same before in a 2, only carrier was Verizon instead). My old case fits & everything, yay!

But I notice either the font isn't the same or the text is slightly smaller, dunno...whatever it is, it makes the iPad 3 harder to read while resting on my lap(my fave way to read on the 2). I love the retina crispness, and lowered the brightness, thinking it was just causing me to squint, but so far I feel a bit strained to read things or see websites.

No, I don't need glasses or have anything wrong with my eyes.

Can you change fonts or text size in general, anywhere? Not like in an app, but in safari and emails and such? Just generally make the change?

Has anybody else noticed a difference in the tex of a 2 vs 3? Thanks!

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Google search found this.

Follow these steps to turn on and enable the zoom magnifier on your iPad:

• Access-and-customize-iPad-settings-and-preferences.jpg
    Start by selecting the "Settings" icon on one of your Home screen; if you cannot see it, press the Home button (round at the bottom) once or twice until you see a text field: type "settings" inside it, and tap Return to search and locate the Settings icon.
  • Your iPad will automatically load the "General" preferences, which are the ones you want; if they are not selected, tap on the "General" tab on the left hand side.
  • Now scroll down to the very bottom: right above the "Reset" button and "Battery Percentage", tap on the "Accessibility" button to open this set of options and settings.
  • The second accessibility setting on your iPad reads "Zoom", and is set to "Off" by default. Tap on it.
  • The next screen lets you enable and turn on the zoom feature, and displays a list of explanation. First, tap on the On-Off switch once to make it mark the zoom magnifier feature as "On".
  • You are all set, and you can now see everything larger on your iPad screen (larger text rather than font size itself) by zooming in, and make everything smaller on the display by zooming out.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In Settings > Mail, increase the minimum font size.

In Safari, you can't change the default font, but you can add a bookmarklet to change font size with a tap. Add a new bookmark to the bookmarks bar, and paste this in as the URL:

javascript:var%20p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i%3Cp.length;i++)%7Bif(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize)%7Bvar%20s=parseInt(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize.replace(%22px%22,%22%22));%7Delse%7Bvar%20s=12;%7Ds+=2;p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize=s+%22px%22%7D

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That sounds a bit odd to me because as far as I can tell, everything appears to be exactly the same size on the iPad 2 and iPad 3.

BTW, I think those who jailbreak their iPads can change the default fonts...you might ask over there if this is a big problem for you. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do....

Last edited:
OP
N

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. Maybe in the short time I had the Kindle, I got used to a bigger font or something. I'm sure other former 2 users would have also noticed a font change between generations if that was really the case.
Not really my thing to jailbreak. But I did keep the 5.1 it came with, just in case.

I'll keep adjusting the brightness or such. I definately like the 3, so she ain't going anywhere.

Last edited:

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can change the font size in this app by tapping more, settings, reading options. Many other apps, books, magazines, etc also have settings to allow larger fonts. Of course pinching out often works too.

Most reactions