What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can an iPad power a USB midi controller

kenrob2037

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have tried to get my 2017 iPad to power my midi controller, it's a Roland A-49, put it does not.

Does anyone know if it is possible, or do iPad only work with powered midi keyboards?

Cheers

Rob

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have tried to get my 2017 iPad to power my midi controller, it's a Roland A-49, put it does not.

Does anyone know if it is possible, or do iPad only work with powered midi keyboards?

Hi Rob - you are fairly new here so welcome to the forum! :) I probably do not have an adequate answer for you, but my wife is an accomplished amateur musician and singer who owns multiple instruments including a MIDI KB - probably a dozen or so years ago, I hooked it to our PC for her to experiment, so interested in your situation - believe I used a Roland connector.

But first provide us w/ the 2017 model device that you own, i.e. iPad or an iPad Pro? Second, the 'lightning dock' is 8-pins w/ just one devoted to power, i.e. for battery charging (see first pic below) - reading about your Roland KB HERE, the instrument can run off USB power (about 100 mA current required - see following pics below) - the Roland brochures that I reviewed (assume you've gone through the same process) indicate that an iPad can be used, but an AC-powered USB hub is needed (last pic) - thus, my interpretation is that the iPad cannot provide the power needed to run your Roland KB and must be supplemented w/ power, as described. If not already done, check the support area on the Roland website and/or give them a call for advice. Good luck - Dave :)
Roland0.png
Roland1.png
Roland2.png
Roland3.png
Roland4.png

OP
kenrob2037

kenrob2037

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Dave for the detailed reply, that is very helpful.

As my 2017 iPad, which is not the Pro version, would not power anything through its port, such as a USB mic, a usb powered backup drive, nor my midi controller, I assumed that the iPad is not as suitable as an Android or most Windows devices that will power this type of equipment.

I have to say, I find it gobsmacking that Apple, the industry standard for tech in the music industry, produce a tablet that will not power a midi controller so it can be independently used as a tool to produce music.

I guess that's the world of a proprietary business.

Thanks again Dave.

Regards

rob

Most reactions