What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which way is better to do MIDI on iPAD?

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I could get a yamaha portable keyboard with MIDI ports or a you rock guitar.
I believe the iRIG midi works with you rock guitar without the camera kit.
And I don't know if a MIDI to USB works with the iPad via the camera kit.
Question is do all iPad music apps like GarageBand, MusicStudio, SampleTank, etc...
support both of these devices or have they made the choice for me?
I heard about core MIDI but I don't know what all that means for yamaha and you rock guitar sending regular MIDI.

I found a description in an app that indicated the app is compatible with core midi supporting midi keyboard. So then not all midi keyboards support core midi???

Last edited:

Zeke1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I would check out the website for each one of those apps. Also, Music Studio has a forum here that you can get support from. The camera connection method only works on some apps, but that site I linked you to also has a list of supported devices and MIDI hardware.

Hope that helps :)

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks.

I was hoping someone already did the leg work.

I kind of prefer the USB if it would work, because I'm optimistically thinking iPad would support multiple midi devices at once some day.

Zeke1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Magnetic1 said:
Thanks.

I was hoping someone already did the leg work.

I kind of prefer the USB if it would work, because I'm optimistically thinking iPad would support multiple midi devices at once some day.

No problem! I have done a little bit of research on the hook ups because I plan on buying some hardware. I want to use the keyboards in the music department of where I attend school to make some MIDI tunes on Music Studio, but I'll do that when I have some extra spending cash ;)

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hear you. Midi gear can add up real quick.

Most reactions

Latest posts