What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i use an ipad 3G to send/recieve sms and voicecalls using the native app?

Banquish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use my iPad for everything else, I wish I could use it to send txt messages; getting native phone capability would be awesome too. I assume I'll need to jailbreak, I haven't done it yet, but I would for this. Does anyone know how that can be done?
I've been searching, but I can't get anything that shows me how to get the functionality with the native messaging and phone app.
Also, while I'm asking, is it possible to connect to two Bluetooth devices simultaneously?

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Text Plus

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

matspetter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are apps that can handle native SMS and MMS for ipad1 and ipad2. They are called SwirlySMS and SwirlyMessage. Read more here: swirlyspace.com/?page_id=774

dawidbrook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No you can not do that as the use of sim card in iPad is for internet connectivity in no Wifi area. iPod Touch 5th Gen is also coming with simcard facility. Then it would not be used in behalf of iPhone. Sim card facility is only for internet connectivity. You can only use iMessage feature.

matspetter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is very strange then that I CAN send real SMS and MMS with both my ipads. It is true that some plans come with the restrictions that you cannot send sms/mms with them but that has nothing to do with the ipad, it is just a restriction imposed by your operator. Just ask them to enable sms/mms for you and then download Swirlysms or swirlymessage and you are ready to go!
:)

Most reactions

Latest posts