What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMS for ipad2 3g posible to authorize viber?

hotstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for a way to receive a SMS so I can finally authorize viber to call friends abroad, viber requires SMS for all new users because they send a code to activate new accounts., I had no idea that apple blocked SMS on all iPads with 3G, that's backwards, my guess is to get suckers to buy both iPhone, iPad and have iTunes on a iMac.

Does anyone know how to get SMS to work in order to receive messages?

Thnks

Sent from my iPad2 64GB wifi 3G using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for a way to receive a SMS so I can finally authorize viber to call friends abroad, viber requires SMS for all new users because they send a code to activate new accounts., I had no idea that apple blocked SMS on all iPads with 3G, that's backwards, my guess is to get suckers to buy both iPhone, iPad and have iTunes on a iMac.

Does anyone know how to get SMS to work in order to receive messages?

Thnks

It's not really that Apple block SMS on the iPad, it's simply that the iPad does not possess SMS or voice-call functionality (except for VoIP - which is quite separate from 'normal' GSM voice). So I'm afraid it's impossible to receive an SMS on the iPad *directly*. Several third-party service providers host 'indirect' text message send and receive services and some will even allow you to allocate your iPad SIM number to that service. Whether you could use such a service depends which country you currently reside in, because that service is not available in all countries.

Tim

OP
H

hotstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have any links to services like this, I really would like to try VIBER.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have any links to services like this, I really would like to try VIBER.

As I mentioned, it depends which country you're in. The easiest way is to look in your country's App Store for text messaging apps and see which offer you the option of choosing the number on which your SMS will be received. Not all countries have that option; I live in the UK and here, when confronted with the same problem, I had to 'phone the service provider's Help Line and convince them that I couldn't receive a text message. Eventually they gave me the code over the 'phone.

Tim

MarcoGT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solution

It's simpler than you think:
when installing Viber DON'T put the number of the iPAD sim but of your mobile phone (doesn't have to be a smartphone, just able to recieve an SMS).
then you activate, revieve the SMS in your mobile phone and enter the activation code in the iPad.

It works !! :D

Ciao
Marco
iPad 1 64Gb WiFi+3G
Viber

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when installing Viber DON'T put the number of the iPAD sim but of your mobile phone (doesn't have to be a smartphone, just able to recieve an SMS).
then you activate, revieve the SMS in your mobile phone and enter the activation code in the iPad.

Ciao
Marco
iPad 1 64Gb WiFi+3G
Viber

That is a cool idea!!! Lateral thinking at its very best!! Thanks!!

I will go away and hide my embarrassment...:(

Tim

OP
H

hotstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put my SIM into my m8s iPhone 4' I received a code using MY number belonging to my SIM, I then put the SIM back in the iPad and I get an error.

She also just put my number in Viber and received a code, which again I tried on my iPad with my SIM and it still does not work,

The only other option I found was to click on the "no code?" button on the top right, which takes you to their webpage and says that you will get a phone call with your code, I can not receive both phone calls or SMS on a iPad as far as I know., at least not to my SIM phone number.

Any ideas?

OP
H

hotstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MarcoGT said:

Ciao
Marco
iPad 1 64Gb WiFi+3G
Viber

Does not work only iPad 2 still, says activation code is not correct

Are you using a jb iPad 1?

MarcoGT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hotstuff said:
Does not work only iPad 2 still, says activation code is not correct

Are you using a jb iPad 1?

Absolutely not
Original iPad 1 64 Gb WiFi + 3G

OP
H

hotstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MarcoGT said:
Absolutely not
Original iPad 1 64 Gb WiFi + 3G

Viber says ipad 2 is incompatible, iPad 1 and iPods are partially supported, the steps mentioned before re partial work arounds,this week viber will update the app for iPads and iPods

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MarcoGT said:

Ciao
Marco
iPad 1 64Gb WiFi+3G
Viber

That's exactly what I did. It's easy and simple. Been using viber in this way since it's inception. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
H

hotstuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 is cool said:
That's exactly what I did. It's easy and simple. Been using viber in this way since it's inception. Good luck.

Totally impossible according to viber, they even told me jail broken iPads are partially working, which means it snot a iPad 2,
Not saying your dishonest or this is a hoax but how exactly is it with your the only iPad 2 owner on the planet with viber working beats me, would be nice if other iPad 2 owners can try this FREE app just to see if they can activate it with a SMS sent to another device as you described because from what viber says the ipad 2 can not read SMS just mms messages if anything., unless I miss understood that please do explain more clearly, thanks

:)

Last edited:

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hotstuff said:
Totally impossible according to viber, they even told me jail broken iPads are partially working, which means it snot a iPad 2, Not saying your dishonest or this is a hoax but what exactly is it with your iPad 2 that makes you the only person on the planet with viber working beats me, would be nice if other iPad 2 owners can try this FREE app just to see if they can activate it with a SMS sent to another device, because from what viber says the ipad 2 can not read SMS just mms messages if anything., unless I miss understood that please do explain more clearly, thanks

:)

Worked on iPad 1 with no problems either. Still working on both. Must inform you I don't have an iPhone. I used my Win mobile 7 phone number as my viber phone number (remember that viber is only for Apple devices). Once I had the text from the viber team to my HTC HD7 I input the code on iPad / iPad 2. Works a dream. Viber my wife all day long in the middle east. Will upload a pic for you of viber on my iPad.

Hopefully you can make out from the pic that it is the iPad 2 (see smart cover attached) and the many calls I have made off it.

I know it's not the most amazing pic in the world. But it works with no technical know how needed. If you are having problems with viber, skype works just as well also.

Attachments

• image-4035376142.png
    image-4035376142.png
    398.5 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts