What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMS on iPad?

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is SMS messaging available natively on the iPad. I am getting SMS messages from my 3G service provider so there is obviously something there to handle them but there doesn't seem to be any function I can find to respond to them or to compose new ones. Have I missed something?

PxDx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If u get that then tell me becoz I miss WhatsApp on my iPad..

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is SMS messaging available natively on the iPad. I am getting SMS messages from my 3G service provider so there is obviously something there to handle them but there doesn't seem to be any function I can find to respond to them or to compose new ones. Have I missed something?

There is no app available for the iPad that can display a received SMS message or compose a new one *directly* - i.e. using the native iPad 3G functionality. There are third-party indirect SMS messaging facilities that host text messaging on their company servers.

Tim

OP
T

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no app available for the iPad that can display a received SMS message or compose a new one *directly* - i.e. using the native iPad 3G functionality. There are third-party indirect SMS messaging facilities that host text messaging on their company servers.
Tim

Well there is something native on it because I have no SMS app and my iPad v1 3G which was bought SIM free and to which I then added the SIM is displaying blue pop up boxes looking just like an iPhone SMS alert with SMS messages from the provider. So clearly there is some SMS functionality in there. So the question is how much and is it accessible for other purposes?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim

Well there is something native on it because I have no SMS app and my iPad v1 3G which was bought SIM free and to which I then added the SIM is displaying blue pop up boxes looking just like an iPhone SMS alert with SMS messages from the provider. So clearly there is some SMS functionality in there. So the question is how much and is it accessible for other purposes?

Have a look here...

Apple iPad 3G gets native SMS app

Tim

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim

I'm interested in this too.

Who is your Service Provider? Have you contacted them about a possible facility?

OP
T

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested in this too.

Who is your Service Provider? Have you contacted them about a possible facility?

Its t-mobile and no I haven't contacted them as usually tech support is not that savvy on oddball questions like this IME.

Most reactions

Latest posts