What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I tether to a droid phone?

djphelan01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im new to the iPad so excuse my ignorance. I want to use my Motorola Droid as a wifi hotspot by tethering with a
USB cord. My phone has a micro b input so I bought a female USB to micro b cord. I then plugged the USB cord from the iPad2 into but it didn't work. When I did a little research my phone says it will tether to a windows os. Is there
anything else I can do? Or will the iPad only tether to an iPhone?

AtomHeartMother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What type of phone do you have? I'm on verizon and I've discovered I can tether my ipad2 with the motorola droid x, x2 and droid 2 phones. This is done via bluetooth, not usb. With this connection the ipad2 uses my 3g connection. So long as the signal is good I have no trouble streaming netflix, hbo go and youtube. Forgot to mention my ipad2 is a 16gb wifi only model.

OP
D

djphelan01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original Motorola droid. I'll have to see f I can do it with the Bluetooth . Does your phone recognize the iPad as a Bluetooth device?

xIkx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't the droid have the option to turn on 'mobile hotspot' which would give you a wifi acces point from your phone to internet. I thought it was basic from android 2.3 up.

AtomHeartMother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xlkx, yes that is correct but it costs. I prefer to use my existing 3g for no addtional charge. Of course you're not getting the speeds of wifi but if I can stream video most times that's all the speed I need. Djphelan01, Yes ...I think your original droid may work. Put the phone in discover mode(bluetooth settings) and also enable the bluetooth on your ipad. They should see each other once discovered. You'll get a code on both devices to pair them...in similar fashion of any other bluetooth devices. Once paired, connect with your ipad and you should have your 3g data stream available on your ipad.

OP
D

djphelan01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Root your droid. Then you get free hotspots :)

Sent from my jailbroken iPad2 using iPF
Sorry for the ignorance but what does "root your droid" mean?
I have unlimited 3G access with my phone and I'm trying to use it as a hotspot with my wifi only Ipad2.
I got my IPad and phone to recognize each other as a device with Bluetooth but I can't get them to connect. When I tap on a different Bluetooth device on my phone it try's to connect but when I tap on the iPad icon nothing happens. Is there something I need to do to the phone or the iPad to make them connect?

HowBoutThemPack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
djphelan01 said:
Sorry for the ignorance but what does "root your droid" mean?
I have unlimited 3G access with my phone and I'm trying to use it as a hotspot with my wifi only Ipad2.
I got my IPad and phone to recognize each other as a device with Bluetooth but I can't get them to connect. When I tap on a different Bluetooth device on my phone it try's to connect but when I tap on the iPad icon nothing happens. Is there something I need to do to the phone or the iPad to make them connect?

Rooting is the equivalence of jailbreaking on apple. Rooting is a Linux term that basically giving the user "administrative" properties. You don't need anything to my knowledge to connect the two devices.

Sent from my jailbroken iPad2 using iPF

bosslady74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excuse me but what is root your droid? I'm new to this.Thanks!

yellowhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds interesting doesnt it?

And does it let you know when it's eaten all the free mins and branched into pay mins?

Most reactions

Latest posts