What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I remove photos from a shared album without alerting the person who created the album?

TerryOConnor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some sensitivity here, but I am running out of space and something has to go.
Any help?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

Are you running out of iCloud storage space, or storage space on the iPad itself?
Shared Albums don‘t count against your iCloud storage.
Afaik, shared albums use very little storage space on your device.

OP
T

TerryOConnor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

Are you running out of iCloud storage space, or storage space on the iPad itself?
Shared Albums don‘t count against your iCloud storage.
Afaik, shared albums use very little storage space on your device.
On the iPad. It has 32gb storage and there are not too many pics taken using the iPad, but the system reports a total of about 5gb of photos.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 32 photos on my iPad, and about 100 shared albums, some of them with more than 100 images. Photos take less than 500 GB on my device.

Do you use iCloud Photos? If so:
Take a look at Settings, go to Photos. If you‘ve selected “Download and Keep Originals”, change this setting to “Optimize iPad Storage”. That’s supposed to help if your iPad is low on storage space.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Btw:
This is what the owner of a shared album can select.
FC4F635C-BFF1-43B2-9191-1D402358628B.jpeg

This doesn’t mention that he/she gets a notification when a subscriber removes an image. I can’t try that right now, but I’ll certainly do it as soon as possible and tell you what happened.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, that’s what happened on my iPad:
When one of the subscribers added images to an album I‘m sharing, I saw the activity in the “For You” section in Photos. When the images were removed, the notification disappeared in “For You”. So the album owner doesn’t get a notification when you remove photos you’ve added to the album. If you’ve added your images some time ago, the owner won’t notice that the notification disappears when you remove your photos.

Please note that you can’t remove images added by others from a shared album, if you’re a subscriber.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts