What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a 2nd iPad 2 mirror my first one, purchases and all?

derekwash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just purchased a 2nd iPad 2. Its for my 82 yr old father. He needs it for speech rehabilitation, after a stroke. There is a great speech rehab program for the iPad, that he is very familiar with from his therapy, in which an iPad was provided with this app on it, for him to use. He is now out of that therapy, though we all feel that the iPad and the app will continue to be of great help. The app is almost $200. He has no computer.

I am considering setting up his iPad to mirror mine. I don't mind purchasing the app, but do I have to purchase it twice? (one for his, one for mine). I won't use the app, but he will.

As I am preparing to set up his iPad, I have the option of setting up "a New iPad" or to restore from a previous backup of mine. If I set his up from a restore of mine, will our ipads be viewed as the same iPad? Are there pros and cons to this?

Thanks for any thoughts.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
derekwash said:
I have just purchased a 2nd iPad 2. Its for my 82 yr old father. He needs it for speech rehabilitation, after a stroke. There is a great speech rehab program for the iPad, that he is very familiar with from his therapy, in which an iPad was provided with this app on it, for him to use. He is now out of that therapy, though we all feel that the iPad and the app will continue to be of great help. The app is almost $200. He has no computer.

I am considering setting up his iPad to mirror mine. I don't mind purchasing the app, but do I have to purchase it twice? (one for his, one for mine). I won't use the app, but he will.

As I am preparing to set up his iPad, I have the option of setting up "a New iPad" or to restore from a previous backup of mine. If I set his up from a restore of mine, will our ipads be viewed as the same iPad? Are there pros and cons to this?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Click restore, good to go. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
D

derekwash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to go?

Hey. Thanks for the reply to my question. However, do you mean by saying "click restore, good to go" that we can both have the same programs on the our separate ipads, without needing to pay twice?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, you can have the same apps on two iPads. You can choose to restore from a backup to do this initially, or you can just setup as a new iPad (but use your old account).

Either way you will be able choose to sync any app you want to either iPad. You don't even have to sync. The apps can be downloaded directly to the new iPad at no charge.

The only thing you want to avoid is creating a new account for the iPad. As long as you don't do that you'll be able to share just about anything you want, either by syncing in iTunes, or just downloading it a second time on the new iPad for free.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you should create as new iPad, as when it come time for backups, you wanna have it separate, it makes more sense.
you just use the same apple sign in ID on both devices.
you can re-download an app as many times you wish, using the same apple ID you purchased it with, on as many devices you own.
you can authorize 5 computers/iTunes, using that apple ID, so those iTunes can download them too(apps, music, etc, etc).

Last edited:

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with Poser, and think you should start it up as a new iPad.
Which is what I stated in the other thread you created about this.

Most reactions

Latest posts