What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Kit for iPad 3

anthonyq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I have read the info about the Camera Kit for iPad 3, you can connect your camera / SD card to upload files to ipad. If I place files (photos ect) on to my SD card from my PC can I still upload them to the iPad via Camera Kit ? or do the files have to come directly from the camera?

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think the iPad cares where the pictures come from, so long as they are in the proper file format (.jpg) and in the proper folder (DCIM). You may also be able to do videos this way, but I have had mixed luck with this, for some reason.

No problems with this.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If I have read the info about the Camera Kit for iPad 3, you can connect your camera / SD card to upload files to ipad. If I place files (photos ect) on to my SD card from my PC can I still upload them to the iPad via Camera Kit ? or do the files have to come directly from the camera?

Hi Anthony.. - the CCK (Camera Connection Kit) can import images directly from a digital camera or from the camera's SD card as you mentioned above - for the SD card formatted by the camera, there is a specific DCIM folder (as discussed by the previous poster), and w/i that folder (may be sub-folders) are the image files which are formatted w/ an 8-character alphanumeric name w/ *.JPG attached - the iPad will recognize that format - below is a screen capture from my Panasonic camera's SD card - SO, you can place 'other' JPEG images on the SD card as along as each is placed in a DCIM folder and has the proper naming for your camera model/brand - this usually works (BUT not always - UGHH!).

NOW, if you are asking about putting non-image (other than JPEG) files on the same SC card (e.g. documents, music, etc.) and then getting these into the iPad via the CCK is not a possibility, at least in the 'stock' iPad - as to 'movies', can't say from my own experience? BTW - this topic has been discussed exhaustively on the forum, so you might want to try some searching (if so, you'll probably see my name a few times - :D). Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 6.18.32 PM.png

OP
A

anthonyq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies, the Photos from my Canon camera are numbered IMG_0406 in the DCIM folder, or IMG_0406.JPEG when viewing the info of the photo.
Could I make a folder and name it DCIM then place jpeg photos from my PC in the folder, and would the Camera Connection Kit then allow me to load them on to my iPad? Hope this makes sense to you!

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would have to double-check to be sure. I cannot remember whether I moved pictures from computer to iPad via fresh SD card, or by borrowing my camera's card.

If I remember tonight, I will check it out and report back.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies, the Photos from my Canon camera are numbered IMG_0406 in the DCIM folder, or IMG_0406.JPEG when viewing the info of the photo.
Could I make a folder and name it DCIM then place jpeg photos from my PC in the folder, and would the Camera Connection Kit then allow me to load them on to my iPad? Hope this makes sense to you!

Forgot to say that, "Could I make a folder and name it DCIM" this would be made on the PC.

Hi again Anthony - there are many posts in this forum of members (including me) trying all sorts of SD card manipulations to accomplish the goals you are asking about - SO, why don't you just give some of these ideas a try - you will not hurt a thing and maybe can provide all of us some information - simply a suggestion from someone who has already done the same (w/ some success and also some failures).

Now the SD card formatted on your camera has just one DCIM folder, so another one cannot be added; however, on my card, there are 2 subfolders, so I'm assuming my camera's software 'fills up' one folder (don't know the criteria) and then makes a new folder - one test, look in the DCIM folder of your camera's card and if a subfolder exists place you images there or even make a 'new' subfolder; of course, you will still need to follow the 8-character naming protocol w/ a JPG extension - the format is likely critical.

You could also take a standard SD card and first format it in you camera - in the 'newly' formatted DCIM folder, place the JPEG images you want to load on the iPad from your computer - rename each using the proper format of your camera - and then give it a try (believe that this worked for me in the past, BUT was time consuming and not that useful for me). Good luck and let us know your results. Dave :)

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SO, why don't you just give some of these ideas a try - you will not hurt a thing and maybe can provide all of us some information

WHOLLY agree with this suggestion, ASSUMING you have a card reader. I would hate to think I would be performing any experiment that you are capable of performing on your own.

However, if you are trying to make a decision about whether to purchase a camera kit, I am willing to confirm a few simple things.

OP
A

anthonyq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a genuine CCK. I bought a cheap one from eBay I think, and cannot get it to work. I am trying to find out if I am spend £25 (uk) the thing will work.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
WHOLLY agree with this suggestion, ASSUMING you have a card reader. I would hate to think I would be performing any experiment that you are capable of performing on your own.

However, if you are trying to make a decision about whether to purchase a camera kit, I am willing to confirm a few simple things.

I am thinking of buying a genuine CCK. I bought a cheap one from eBay I think, and cannot get it to work. I am trying to find out if I am spend £25 (uk) the thing will work.

OOPS - sorry, just thought that the CCK was already being used - I own the Apple version and have not had an issue w/ a camera's SD card - need to look up some of my old posts to see what I had discovered? Dave :)

ADDENDUM:
Check HERE from a few years ago - :)

Last edited:

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My quick experiment was:

a) use PC (windows 8) to create a file on an SD card called "dcim". Add photo
b) put SD card into CCK and iPad2
c) attempt to read photo.

The experiment failed. I have made no attempt at variations or troubleshooting, but have come to learn that following a naming convention may work. May try later for my own edification.

Most reactions

Latest posts