What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Connection Kit with HDD Camcorders

Paulmellors

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.

Has anyone had success connecting a hard disk HD camcorder?

My Canon HG10 comes up as unsupported:-(

Paul

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, my Sony HDR-SR11 via the iPad Camera Kits works fine. Using the Camera Kit USB connector, I connected the HD camcorder to its mini USB port and the other end to the iPad USB connector. I turned the camera on to playback mode and then selected the USB source (memory stick or Hard Disk) to make it available (as if it was connected to my PC). The iPad "sees" the USB photos on the hard disk or memory stick, and the Photo Application launches and brings up thumbnails on the iPad (just like sticking a SD card into the SD reader connector of the Camera Kit). You select all or individually select photos for download.

The catches:
1) I had to tell the camcorder to got into USB disk mode to make its photos available to the PC (in this case iPad).
2) iPad only reads JPEG photos. Doesn't see RAW photo images, didn't see any HD video clips.

Hope this helps.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
maybe that you must shutdown the iPad before connecting ie turn off iPad attach adapter then turn on iPad I will not be able to test this until I receive my adapter I sell HD cameras at "the good guys" in Australia so happy to test this out

Col

OP
P

Paulmellors

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I can get still images from the camera (they are stored on a micro SD card), it is when attempting to get video that the unsupported message appears.

I have a Nikon D90, so will try video from that, but I suspect that will work OK, I think it is going to be the Hark Disk transfer which will be the issue.

Thanks for all the ideas so far, I will try all later today and post back

Pzul

Most reactions

Latest posts