What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camcorder to ipad

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I tried connecting my Canon FS200 non-HD camcorder to my pad via the connection kit and nothing opened. Then I tried inserting the SD card in the reader, again no dice.
Anybody have a work around or advice? I have iMovie loaded but that offers no importing feature.
Anxious to hear what can be done.

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, you can only import photos that are in a DCIM folder on your SD card. But I may be wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

Maybe you can import them through iTunes with a video app?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My usual route is to get them off the recording device onto my PC, put the files into a folder and then share that folder via the Photos tab in iTunes, making sure the include Video box was checked.

Seamless from an iPhone, but from other devices, you may have to get them into a format the iPad likes before sharing with the iPad.

What format does the Canon camera output to?

OP
R

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I too usually go the iTunes route. Just thought that I could save steps by plugging in the camcorder and import my clips. I believe it is MPEG-2. I read that I may need to reformat my SD card to make sure that it contains a DCIM file folder. Apparently the iPad will only read the file if it is in that file. So how do I format the SD card?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ronaldo said:
Yes, I too usually go the iTunes route. Just thought that I could save steps by plugging in the camcorder and import my clips. I believe it is MPEG-2. I read that I may need to reformat my SD card to make sure that it contains a DCIM file folder. Apparently the iPad will only read the file if it is in that file. So how do I format the SD card?

No, I mean the format of the video. The iPad probably won't like the MPEG-2 natively (AFAIK).

I do not have a CCK, but from memory (and what I've read here and other forums), the CCK will only read photos from the DCIM folder on the SD card. Here is what I would try:

Get the SD card and pop it in your PC.
Use Windows Explorer to look at the folder/ file structure on the card
If you have taken any stills, there should already be a DCIM folder, if not, create one.
move 1 video file into that folder
Take the SD Card and try the CCK on the iPad

Worth a shot to test the waters.

Most reactions

Latest posts