What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Btmouse & keyboard

OP
LawPad2

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To prevent the crashes, try installing Activator and Insomnia.

ACTIVATOR: Activator is a programmable app launcher, that will allow you to assign functions to your middle and right click mouse buttons, as well as dozens keyboard hotkeys! (Also, a TON more options using the buttons on your iPad and gesture activated shortcuts.)

INSOMNIA: This app allows you to designate certain apps to run in the background, once your iPad enters sleep mode. This app eliminates having to re-pair your devices when your iPad comes out of sleep mode.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LawPad2 said:
To prevent the crashes, try installing Activator and Insomnia.

ACTIVATOR: Activator is a programmable app launcher, that will allow you to assign functions to your middle and right click mouse buttons, as well as dozens keyboard hotkeys! (Also, a TON more options using the buttons on your iPad and gesture activated shortcuts.)

INSOMNIA: This app allows you to designate certain apps to run in the background, once your iPad enters sleep mode. This app eliminates having to re-pair your devices when your iPad comes out of sleep mode.

Thanks for the tip on insomnia....
I have the home key mapped to the right mouse button.......extrememly convenient.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After reading through these comments, I have just ordered the MS 5000 BT mouse. I already have the Apple BT keyboard (aluminum one, and I love it), but I didn't realize there was a mouse and mouse app that would work on the iPad also. That's fantastic! Due to space limitations, the iPad and keyboard have been a welcome replacement for the laptop. The mouse is really going to ice the cupcake.

I still don't quite understand the "BTStack" thing, but I'm headed over to (wherever - Cydia, probably) to look for those. If I have questions about it all, I may be back for help.

(EDIT)... ok, I do have a question. Why is BTStack Keybard a purchased app and BTMouse a free app? If I am adding the BT Mouse and install the BTStack Mouse, will there be a conflict with the keyboard and internal BT module?? I certainly don't mind paying for the one, but just curious if there's a problem if I don't purchase that BTStack Keyboard module when trying to use both a keyboard and mouse.

Thanks

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had them both for a long time. I don't know why he decided to not charge for the BTStack Mouse..may be not as popular. I've worked with him some on getting it to stay connected if the iPad goes to sleep. He's a nice person. You can donate. And yes if you use the BTStack, either one, you need to turn off the onboard BT, won't run together. I just always turn it off before starting them, but I think he's got it set where the BTStack Keyboard now will turn it off auto on startup. After the BTS shutdown, you need to wait about 10 seconds before restarting onboard BT to keep it from hanging up you iOS.

FYI. I have found myApple wireless mouse works smoother with the keyboard than my MS 5000...maybe because the Apple mouse is newer, don't know.

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wokiebear said:
I've had them both for a long time. I don't know why he decided to not charge for the BTStack Mouse..may be not as popular. I've worked with him some on getting it to stay connected if the iPad goes to sleep. He's a nice person. You can donate. And yes if you use the BTStack, either one, you need to turn off the onboard BT, won't run together. I just always turn it off before starting them, but I think he's got it set where the BTStack Keyboard now will turn it off auto on startup. After the BTS shutdown, you need to wait about 10 seconds before restarting onboard BT to keep it from hanging up you iOS.

FYI. I have found myApple wireless mouse works smoother with the keyboard than my MS 5000...maybe because the Apple mouse is newer, don't know.

EdiT to add -- to use the BTStack mouse, you will have to buy and run the BTStack keyboard...can't run both onboard BT and the BTS at the same time!

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Needed to add (how did you edit to add anyway?). You will have to buy the BTS Keyboard to use the BTS Mouse....can't run onboard BT and BTS at the same time!

Dang..just discovered how. Trying to do it above caused a double entry. Sorry!

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wokiebear,

Thanks for the comments. It's all getting much more clear to me now.

One thing that has just come to mind, and hope isn't a big-time conflict, is the fact that I frequently run with MiWi as the tethering agent using Bluetooth for the tether to the iPhone. I have purchased the MiWi On-demand setup and the Bluetooth method is more reliable than using WiFi for thether. I do also have Verizon's paid tethering option - which is probably sufficient for my tethering needs, but if I need more in a month, then filtching it out of my unlimited data pool is possible.

So, does it seem likely that the keyboard, mouse, and tether - all Bluetooth - aren't going to play together all at the same time? That would be a shame, but worse things exist, I suppose.

I didn't like the look of, or descriptions and evaluations of the Apple Magic Mouse, so I opted for the MS 5000 one. I do hope it isn't herky/jerky acting. I'd hate to think I could have avoided a bad purchase such as that by not getting on here first.

Thanks again,

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bingoldsby said:
Wokiebear,

Thanks for the comments. It's all getting much more clear to me now.

One thing that has just come to mind, and hope isn't a big-time conflict, is the fact that I frequently run with MiWi as the tethering agent using Bluetooth for the tether to the iPhone. I have purchased the MiWi On-demand setup and the Bluetooth method is more reliable than using WiFi for thether. I do also have Verizon's paid tethering option - which is probably sufficient for my tethering needs, but if I need more in a month, then filtching it out of my unlimited data pool is possible.

So, does it seem likely that the keyboard, mouse, and tether - all Bluetooth - aren't going to play together all at the same time? That would be a shame, but worse things exist, I suppose.

I didn't like the look of, or descriptions and evaluations of the Apple Magic Mouse, so I opted for the MS 5000 one. I do hope it isn't herky/jerky acting. I'd hate to think I could have avoided a bad purchase such as that by not getting on here first.

Thanks again,

Unfortunately, no can't use both at once, but I'm wondering if you could get a better connection using PDANet instead. That's not a paid ap and you could try it from Cydia. I've used both, but not while I'm using the BTS. I'll try it in the a.m. And see what happens.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sure there's interference with mywi using the bt. I also use mywi but use the wifi tethering to my 3g iPhone no issues whatsoever....while the phone is on my car/house charger so no worries with battery drain. Can even set wep password.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning,

My issue with WiFi tethering is that after the iPad comes out of sleep, I have to shut its WiFi off, then go to the phone and shut it's WiFi off, shut off the phones tethering toggle... then reenable them all in the reverse order to get a full connection back again. It's kind of a pain, but works. The Bluetooth of MiWi's OnDemand, just requires me to reconnect the bluetooth connection in the iPads settings.

I'll be downloading the Stacks today and see what cooks with them running. Maybe we could convince the app developers to write a "BTStack Tethering" - which might solve my issue." I know there's enough flap about tethering methods to indicate its importance.

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good morning,

My issue with WiFi tethering is that after the iPad comes out of sleep, I have to shut its WiFi off, then go to the phone and shut it's WiFi off, shut off the phones tethering toggle... then reenable them all in the reverse order to get a full connection back again. It's kind of a pain, but works. The Bluetooth of MiWi's OnDemand, just requires me to reconnect the bluetooth connection in the iPads settings.

I'll be downloading the Stacks today and see what cooks with them running. Maybe we could convince the app developers to write a "BTStack Tethering" - which might solve my issue." I know there's enough flap about tethering methods to indicate its importance.

Not sure why that is...I've had no trouble with that aspect of mywi. What setting do you have for mywi to auto shutoff? As previous poster said:
To prevent the crashes, try installing Insomnia.

perhaps insomnia will help...

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(Read the bottom - OOps - paragraphs first)

Well, fooey! Now my bluetooth normal app is completely disfunfunctional. I purchased and installed the btstack keyboard app and discovered that it is quite hokey in the manner that it handles the dismissall of the on-screen keyboard (more in a moment), and I turned off and removed from background the BtStack app. Now after reenabling the native BT control, I can't get the keyboard activated at all. The keyboard (apple) just blinks and trying to engage it gets an error box. I rebooted with no change.

The OnScreen keyboard, when using the external keyboard with the native BT module, does not ever come up. That's a FAR BETTER functioning than what I discovered with the BtStack Keyboard module. The keyboard pops up every time and has to be dismissed with the spot on the screen. Then that area of screen is likely to be messed up by where the keyboard was. That's not good!

(Additional info). I went into Cydia and uninstalled the btstack keyboard. Then I got back into the iOS BT control, reenabled it again, and setup the MiWi BT OnDemand tether... Which is working, but the keyboard is still unable to be connected. The "Unable to connect - Make sure the device is on and in range" thinng. I have never done a full reboot and am about to execute that now. We'll see.

What now?

(( OOps )) I forgot about "Forget This Device" - and that re-pairing did the trick. Hmmm. Well now I have an App that I don't really like, a mouse coming that I may not be able to use on this iPad, but at least, I was able to get back to "normal"

The difficulties I've been having with Tethering has not been with MiWi... that works quite well, especially the BT OnDemand setup. It's the normal (Verizon - paid) tethering setup that is the pain. It looses the WiFi IP configuration and can't get it back by any means short of turning all the settings off... and then sometimes having to reboot both devices. For the cost of it, I'm a little dissappointed in that mis-functionality.

So... I'm ok for now. Perhaps some communications with the writers of the BtStack apps will help them understand what I don't like about it and they'll consider fixing it.

Last edited:

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just sent this message to the app developer of the BTStack modules.
==================

I have just purchased and installed BtStack Keyboard this morning, in preparation for the use of a BT mouse. After giving it a trial, I have discovered at least two issues that I really don't like. One is the matter of the on-screen keyboard popping up every time I want to type something. There seems no keyboard function (on the BT keyboard) that will dismiss that onscreen keyboard, and I have to reach up to touch the dismiss key on the screen. Even then, it did not go away all the time. Then there's the matter of what happens when the screen keyboard does lower away - I'm sure you know what I'm referring to.

The iPad 2 native BT stack keeps the onscreen keyboard from appearing EVERY TIME I activate a text entry, and the issues that I see with your app do not exist with the native module. Is there no way for you to emulate Apple's BT module?

A more serious problem is that I am using Bluetooth tethering, and now fully expect that functioning to be completely incompatible with your Keyboard and Mouse modules. Is that the way you see it?

If there is any hope in these two issues being resolved, please let me know - and when. Otherwise, I would like to request a return/refund of the money I submitted for your product.

iPad2,1-4.3.3: b449e3350bf2412294c9495181131db03e3ad174
=======================

Brian
(sent from my iPad)

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As per above, the BtStack folks haven't responded. Hate it when that happens.

OP
LawPad2

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you really believe they owe you a refund? Or are you just trying to get a response?

Most reactions

Latest posts