What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BT wireless keyboard vs. keyboard case

King of hearts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone I just bought my iPad yesterday and I've been trying to do my research on cases and keyboards. I came upon this site and saw that it has many active user so I thought I would ask on here. Should I get a case with a built in keyboard in it or should I get a shell for my iPad then get like the Bluetooth keyboard with that origami case for it? I want to take it to school and use it to take notes and stuff, but I also want to be able to have it freely out and about (not always Stuck to the keyboard). is it worth ending the extra money and getting all that stuff or should I keep it simple with a case that has a built in keyboard? And if anyone has any recommendation on a case with a keyboard that is compatible with the new iPad I would love some suggestion!! Thanks! :)

Contra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadjunkies.net
Not sure but I have seen some cases with built in keyboards and batteries that look good
I personally like the fact it is so slim and I don't want to use a keyboard as a result
But that may all change when I go back to school in a month or so...lol

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm happy with the Apple BT keyboard and origami case. I like that they're separate, because I ditch my keyboard or take it, as needed. Their light weight, even combined, also sold me. And I prefer to buy accessories that I can easily use with other products, should I upgrade.

Last edited:

DebraPring

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wireless keyboard and case

DO NOT BUY A BUILT IN KEYBOARD!!!!!

My recommendation is to buy the Apple wireless keyboard and a Origami workstation. The built ins are nowhere near the quality of the Apple and are very flimsy and clicky.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Noodles118 said:
Check out the demo video on this website. Cool looking keyboard that turns your iPad into the likes of a MacBook Air.

Brydge Makes Your iPad Look Like A MacBook Air

Interesting product. But will it work with some kind of back protection on the iPad? They didn't seem to anticipate that. Can send money if it ain't fully baked.

Logitech is offering something similar with magnets to help hold the iPad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DebraPring said:
DO NOT BUY A BUILT IN KEYBOARD!!!!!

My recommendation is to buy the Apple wireless keyboard and a Origami workstation. The built ins are nowhere near the quality of the Apple and are very flimsy and clicky.

That's a rather strong statement. Have you tried all of the keyboard cases on the market now? There are several new ones showing up, too. I own a Logitech which has its own case and with work with other devices too, but for extended typing sessions it might be nice to have a case because it is more compact to carry. This always matters to me as the number go gadgets I carry around grows.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also used the Apple BT keyboard with the Origami Workstation. But for me it has one fatal flaw. It does not secure the iPad in any way. I wouldn't use it on my lap. And it requires a table top to secure the iPad.

Lately I've been using the Zagg keyboard folio. There is a thread dedicated to this accessory. It has had a lot of manufacturing issues and a lot of customer service complaints. But I was one of the lucky ones. I went to my local Best Buy and bought one and I have one of the good ones. Based on a lot of the user feedback, I probably wouldn't recommend it until Zagg resolves the quality issues. The Zagg keyboard folio uses a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. And while I would not rate it as high as the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, I've adjusted to its smaller size and find it to be quite acceptable.

The larger size of the Apple keyboard, is both its greatest advantage and disadvantage. The advantage is the larger keys are easier to type on. The disadvantage is that I can't put it in my favorite pouch as it is too wide.

That said, if they could modify the Origami Workstation, so it could secure the iPad, it would be a winner. I've considered finding a way to Bungie iPad to the Origami Workstation. But that does not solve its other flaw. It requires a solid flat surface, because the keyboard folds with respect to the iPad. My Zagg keyboard folio is also best used on a solid flat surface, but I could also set it on my lap if need be.

All in all I like the Origami Workstation. But I think the design needs to be tweaked.

gabey8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a refurb Logitech aluminum keyboard case a few days ago. I've been using the heck out of it ever since. I really do like this keyboard a lot. It is a better choice for typing in my lap than the Verbatim BT keyboard is (which I also own, and like).

The Verbatim keyboard requires you to have a separate stand for the iPad (which my case does). However, it also really needs a flat surface to type on, both because it's got a hinge in the middle that is slightly flex-y on a non-flat surface, and because there is nothing attaching the iPad to the keyboard. But the Logitech keyboard is great for laptop computing. There's no hinge in the middle, so the keyboard doesn't flex; the iPad can be perched in the built-in slot on the keyboard, so you're typing on one single unit that resembles a netbook.

I only just got the Logitech, so I haven't had enough time to deplete the rechargeable battery. However, one reason why I'm going to keep right on carrying the Verbatim keyboard when I travel, even if the Logitech is with me, is that the Verbatim keyboard uses two AAA batteries. Having one rechargeable keyboard and one battery-powered keyboard is the best of both worlds. And with both of them, I can type at full speed and with accuracy. that's something that I just haven't managed to do with the onscreen keyboard, no matter how hard I have tried.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also used the Apple BT keyboard with the Origami Workstation. But for me it has one fatal flaw. It does not secure the iPad in any way. I wouldn't use it on my lap. And it requires a table top to secure the iPad.

Lately I've been using the Zagg keyboard folio. There is a thread dedicated to this accessory. It has had a lot of manufacturing issues and a lot of customer service complaints. But I was one of the lucky ones. I went to my local Best Buy and bought one and I have one of the good ones. Based on a lot of the user feedback, I probably wouldn't recommend it until Zagg resolves the quality issues. The Zagg keyboard folio uses a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. And while I would not rate it as high as the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, I've adjusted to its smaller size and find it to be quite acceptable.

The larger size of the Apple keyboard, is both its greatest advantage and disadvantage. The advantage is the larger keys are easier to type on. The disadvantage is that I can't put it in my favorite pouch as it is too wide.

That said, if they could modify the Origami Workstation, so it could secure the iPad, it would be a winner. I've considered finding a way to Bungie iPad to the Origami Workstation. But that does not solve its other flaw. It requires a solid flat surface, because the keyboard folds with respect to the iPad. My Zagg keyboard folio is also best used on a solid flat surface, but I could also set it on my lap if need be.

All in all I like the Origami Workstation. But I think the design needs to be tweaked.

Doubt they will tweak as you suggest; its design is an alternative for users who don't want an attached keyboard.

For me, the design and function were clear, and if I had wanted an attached keyboard, I would've bought one of those instead.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gabey8 said:
I got a refurb Logitech aluminum keyboard case a few days ago. I've been using the heck out of it ever since. I really do like this keyboard a lot. It is a better choice for typing in my lap than the Verbatim BT keyboard is (which I also own, and like).

The Verbatim keyboard requires you to have a separate stand for the iPad (which my case does). However, it also really needs a flat surface to type on, both because it's got a hinge in the middle that is slightly flex-y on a non-flat surface, and because there is nothing attaching the iPad to the keyboard. But the Logitech keyboard is great for laptop computing. There's no hinge in the middle, so the keyboard doesn't flex; the iPad can be perched in the built-in slot on the keyboard, so you're typing on one single unit that resembles a netbook.

I only just got the Logitech, so I haven't had enough time to deplete the rechargeable battery. However, one reason why I'm going to keep right on carrying the Verbatim keyboard when I travel, even if the Logitech is with me, is that the Verbatim keyboard uses two AAA batteries. Having one rechargeable keyboard and one battery-powered keyboard is the best of both worlds. And with both of them, I can type at full speed and with accuracy. that's something that I just haven't managed to do with the onscreen keyboard, no matter how hard I have tried.

Are you really going travel with two BT keyboard? Ive had My logitech BT keyboard or a year and it is still using the same batteries.

gabey8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Are you really going travel with two BT keyboard? Ive had My logitech BT keyboard or a year and it is still using the same batteries.

The folding BT keyboard doesn't use much space or add much weight, so I just leave it in the bag (a briefcase that was designed for netbook-sized devices). It's easy to carry the iPad in its keyboard case (or any other case) in the same bag.

Having said that, I haven't had the battery run out yet on the Logitech, largely because I charge it semi-regularly. I charge the iPad nightly, and some nights, I plug in the Logitech as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts