What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple wireless keyboard battery problems

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the apple wireless keyboard along with the Origami workstation case. I don't use the keyboard that often....maybe once every two weeks or so. However, twice now when I take out the keyboard to use it the batteries are dead. What's up with this? I thought that it was supposed to shut itself off automatically? Is it possible that the Origami case is somehow pressing the keys and turning it on? I have bluetooth turned off on the ipad when not in use. I thought the batteries were supposed to last "for months" in this keyboard.

I'd appreciate any ideas on this problem. Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFAIK Apple's BT keyboard doesn't have a "sleep mode". You'd have to push the power button on the RH side to turn it off.

It's likely that the batteries are being drained when a key or keys are being pressed while in transit.

FWIW I've had great success using rechargeable batteries in my Apple BT keyboard. (Sanyo eneloop). They last a good long time and I'm using it constantly (like now :) ).

Hope that helps.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another suggestion, which I do w/ electronic devices used infrequently is to simply remove the batteries, then reinsert when needed; a little inconvenient but works fine for me - :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had an AWK for about five months. Use it fairly frequently. More precisely, it's almost always turned on when I'm viewing my iPad. According to the Apple website...

"The Apple Wireless Keyboard requires just two AA batteries — one less than the previous model. And its intelligent power management system conserves battery life. So when you’re not using the keyboard, it automatically powers down. The instant you start typing, it turns back on. Use the on/off switch when you're away from your computer for a long time."

I do make it a habit to turn off the keyboard when I'm in transit but that's primarily to prevent an accidental key press from starting the iPod application and playing music in my bag.

Bottom line is that I've yet to replace the batteries, period. If, as you say, you don't use the keyboard a lot, I can't imagine depleting the batteries over a period of months.

Another possibility (other than a faulty keyboard, of course) is that you have faulty batteries. Since it's happened to you twice, consider the possibility that you purchased a bad (or old) batch of batteries and you're just replacing one bad set with another. But if that isn't the case, it sounds as if you have a faulty keyboard. If I were you I'd take it back to Apple and explain the problem.

Last edited:
OP
markbnh1

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All good ideas. Thanks for the information. If I have another problem with these new fresh batteries, it's going back to Apple.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts