What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken ipad 2 glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gees Michael that really is such a fantastic outcome and I am so pleased for you! Thank you so much for sharing your news. Now I don't think I have to remind you, but put that camera well out of the way :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
leelai said:
Gees you've been so lucky and from 5 feet too, thanks for sharing

Yes , because it was hard floor, I don't know how I am getting that much lucky .. On saturday I was going for a meeting and I asked my father to give me a drop on a bike nearby ...I was wearing pant shirt, tie and a pullover ...I got my iPad in a bag with slings on my shoulders and I pod touch in my hands , I slipped it in my pocket and my father just started bike and when I was settling my pullover my hand touched something hard..when I looked , omg my iPod touch was in my lap/belt. ...oh gosh ..then I put my touch in my bag ...

johnsonjunk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just noticed a broken iPad 2 glass. It's less than a year old, I bought the Apple Care Protection Plan and just got off the phone with them ~ $269 bucks! WHAT THE #@$*!? I live between El Paso and Tucson and wonder if I'd get a different result if I drove the 3 hours to the closest Apple store?

mr_president

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great! I am elated they were able to give you a new iPad.

Sent from Mr_President's iPad using iPF. 32GB 3g

jdmdrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
many stories of replacments, i tried putting a new screen and think i messed up everything ;(

Kittymay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Apple in Canada will replace a cracked screen? Mine slipped out of my hand and dropped about six inches onto a cereal bowl on the table. I couldn't believe it would break this easily! I went to an Apple store in Burnaby, BC and was told that it would cost almost $500 to replace the screen. That's almost half what my husband paid for it.
Kitty

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the support, folks. I wouldn't have tried this bit had I not seen this thread. Of course, this WOULD happen after I'd moved here...my previous home was just over an hour to the nearest Apple Store. Oh well. Though 3.5 hours is a ways to go, I couldn't have picked a better day to drive in the late Autumn weather here...albeit cold, it was dry, clear and sunny. Just beautiful, though some spots of ice going over the passes by Mt. Hood. Even got to relive a blast from the past by listening to a rock 'n roll radio station that was airing the America Top 40 with Casey Kasem for Dec. 6th, 1975. Brought back lots of great memories of sis and I listening to our fave songs and the countdown every week through the 70s and 80s. Great way to kill time on a long drive! (BTW, top three then: 3) How Deep Is Your Love by the Bee Gees, 2) Rubberband Man by the Spinners and 1) Tonight's The Night by Rod Stewart).

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is such a long way to go, but I guess the outcome made it worth it. I love the 70's and 80's music btw and remember those 3 songs well, although I've never really taken to Rod Stewart. :)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, me too! What a catastrophe! Glad you got it fixed although It still cost you the hire car etc...

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

IsaacJireh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No so lucky in Singapore! As you know everything in Singapore nothing is free! I drop my ipad asking Eservice apple appointed service provider, so no lucky i needed to Pay SGD$507 for 32gb 3G+wifi! and the price various. I wish i was in USA. The feeling sucks. Disappointed as SINGAPORE majority people are using apple product. Large percentage are using apple product and we doesn't even have a Apple Storeby Apple? All apple store in Signapore are apple appointed seller. saded. No serive centers that are nice to do a one time courtesy replacement.

Below is my story! care to read?

Guy warning! Do not buy the SMART COVER indeed it is not smart for smart user.
My iPad Drop case is due to the so call SMART COVER! i never had an iPad so my friend bought me one ipad with everything fixed. To my dismay, the smart cover magnet detach easily and i hoping to catch it. The ipad cover also did not prone users to handle ipad with care. Ipad may easily detach from it or anything. I so sad that my screen crack and i have to pay SGD507 plus to repair the screen. I also notice the price like 32gb 3g+wifi= $507, 16bgb 3G+wifi=$407 and so on. The price varies. I was wondering if Singapore Service center is earning such big bucks as one person could top up and buy another new iPad! To add on, It is due to the smart cover design that never take such cas into consideration, what if it loses it magnetism over time. Could it be dangerous for kids or anyone who fist in contact with iPad? It has a polycarbonate backing and was wondering why not the smart cover magnet can actually attach to it. Was is design this way on purpose so that users will DROP their iPad easily and repairs in order to EARN money in Singapore?

I was told off by the Singapore Apple Service advisors that i am not covered cos it is my fault and dim as an accident. I was wondering why it did not prone users or make any improvement to the design or EVEN Anticipate such thing will happened to the user. The design should Shape to the user. That is what Steve Job vision for Mac. Humanity Design! Why is the SMART COVER NOT TAKEN for such consideration that this will happened. Just that magnet attach is cooler? Apple is such a big and good Company i know! Please help me? Someone help me. A student here work so hard to get an ipad in the end had to pay another $500 plus to get it repair. Really cost a bomb. Hidden bomb in apple. Help me apple PLEASE!

I WARN iPad buyers! NOT TO BUY THE SMART COVER! If you buy Please warn the next users to handle it with care, it will detach easily if it is not handle properly.
APPLE will not cover your ipad for their own product fault! Consumer has no rights to apple cos they are big and powerful!

Sign off

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IsaacJireh said:
No so lucky in Singapore! As you know everything in Singapore nothing is free! I drop my ipad asking Eservice apple appointed service provider, so no lucky i needed to Pay SGD$507 for 32gb 3G+wifi! and the price various. I wish i was in USA. The feeling sucks. Disappointed as SINGAPORE majority people are using apple product. Large percentage are using apple product and we doesn't even have a Apple Storeby Apple? All apple store in Signapore are apple appointed seller. saded. No serive centers that are nice to do a one time courtesy replacement.

Below is my story! care to read?

Guy warning! Do not buy the SMART COVER indeed it is not smart for smart user.
My iPad Drop case is due to the so call SMART COVER! i never had an iPad so my friend bought me one ipad with everything fixed. To my dismay, the smart cover magnet detach easily and i hoping to catch it. The ipad cover also did not prone users to handle ipad with care. Ipad may easily detach from it or anything. I so sad that my screen crack and i have to pay SGD507 plus to repair the screen. I also notice the price like 32gb 3g+wifi= $507, 16bgb 3G+wifi=$407 and so on. The price varies. I was wondering if Singapore Service center is earning such big bucks as one person could top up and buy another new iPad! To add on, It is due to the smart cover design that never take such cas into consideration, what if it loses it magnetism over time. Could it be dangerous for kids or anyone who fist in contact with iPad? It has a polycarbonate backing and was wondering why not the smart cover magnet can actually attach to it. Was is design this way on purpose so that users will DROP their iPad easily and repairs in order to EARN money in Singapore?

I was told off by the Singapore Apple Service advisors that i am not covered cos it is my fault and dim as an accident. I was wondering why it did not prone users or make any improvement to the design or EVEN Anticipate such thing will happened to the user. The design should Shape to the user. That is what Steve Job vision for Mac. Humanity Design! Why is the SMART COVER NOT TAKEN for such consideration that this will happened. Just that magnet attach is cooler? Apple is such a big and good Company i know! Please help me? Someone help me. A student here work so hard to get an ipad in the end had to pay another $500 plus to get it repair. Really cost a bomb. Hidden bomb in apple. Help me apple PLEASE!

I WARN iPad buyers! NOT TO BUY THE SMART COVER! If you buy Please warn the next users to handle it with care, it will detach easily if it is not handle properly.
APPLE will not cover your ipad for their own product fault! Consumer has no rights to apple cos they are big and powerful!

Sign off

Sorry to read of your misfortune.

Please help me here to understand something: If I read this correctly, I gather that you attempted to hold/carry the iPad by the Smart Cover alone-even for a couple of seconds-and, as the iPad hung down from the Smart Cover's magnetic hinges, it became detached and fell. Is that right?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

SJStump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine not replaced

Just thought I would post that I also had a typical accident (dropped off couch arm to floor, hit corner, cracked glass, with a "smart cover" no less) and drove 90 miles to nearest apple store in Orlando (altamonte springs) as I had also seen many posts that they would do a 1 time free replacement. Made my appointment with their "genius bar", explained my problem "nicely" and they of course were very nice but refused to help at all and said they would be happy to replace for 369.00. This company is not as it is bragged about by apple fiends as far as I can tell. Maybe they just knew I was trying an apple product for the first time and really wanted to sock it to me. Oh well guess I'll go back and try and android tablet, cause I certainly won't buy from a company that has uniform policies for all not just the selected few that a "chosen by ?"! Kinda sounds like the government deciding to bail out some companies but not others, crony capitalism at it's best?

SJStump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How is that bad customer service? It was your fault, not Apple's. It might be best to shop elsewhere. This sense of entitlement needs to be squashed.

It seems to me that if you are going to make something with glass you would treat the glass or something to make it a little more unbreakable, like the way they do windows these days in hurricane prone areas. Also the sense of entitlement comes from Apple deciding who gets and who doesn't get a replacement willy nilly. Also if you are going to sell a "Smart Cover" mayabe it actually out to be a cover that actually could protect something. Yes, you're right they didn't replace my 3 month old Ipad 2 that fell from a couch arm to the floor and cracked. Must be sour grapes, huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts