What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken docking port

Donster51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 1st generation iPad with a bad docking port. I can still charge with a wall charger, but my computer and iTunes does not recognize the iPad when connected. This is not a computer problem, 100% positive it's the port itself. Unfortunately I didn't activate wifi sync before this happened. The iPad is still functional otherwise, and I back up to the cloud. Problem is, I'm getting a new iPad and want to give this one to my wife. How can I wipe all the data and set it up as a new pad if I can't connect to iTunes. I do not want data synced between the two pads. Possible?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried another cord? If it is the port, your only hope is to take it in to the Genious Bar and act dumb. If you tell them it is the port, they may overlook another answer.

OP
Donster51

Donster51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
Have you tried another cord? If it is the port, your only hope is to take it in to the Genious Bar and act dumb. If you tell them it is the port, they may overlook another answer.

Yes, already been to the Genius Bar, they tried with their cord. Best they could do was to offer me a refurbished iPad 1' for, get this, $269! And that was 2 weeks before the release of the new iPad! Now that's genius. I feel like I'm really stuck here. Can't even trade it in, because it's not in "perfect working condition".

Last edited:

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you considered having it repaired? If you google "repair iPad 1" you find a couple of options. I haven't used any of them, but maybe others can recommend some companies that will repair an iPad.

OP
Donster51

Donster51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you considered having it repaired? If you google "repair iPad 1" you find a couple of options. I haven't used any of them, but maybe others can recommend some companies that will repair an iPad.

That is an option, although it seems pretty costly, but probably worth it. I'm still really looking for some kind of work around. I'm still using it without any real limitations, the only drawback is that I can't sell it (or give it away) and wipe the data and have it be usable to someone else.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, if it were mine, I would be real inclined to watch the video on how to disassemble one, then tear into it and see what happens. Maybe you could fix it yourself. If nothing else, I would sell the piece parts (except the hard drive and broken parts). Look at the bright side - If you record the whole process, maybe your video would go viral and you can make your money back on youtube adverts.
Good luck.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Donster51 said:
Yes, already been to the Genius Bar, they tried with their cord. Best they could do was to offer me a refurbished iPad 1' for, get this, $269! And that was 2 weeks before the release of the new iPad! Now that's genius. I feel like I'm really stuck here. Can't even trade it in, because it's not in "perfect working condition".

Now that the new iPad is out is it worth trying an Apple Store again to see if you can get a better deal?

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is your iPad updated to iOS 5.x?

If so the cord problem can be bypassed for now (though you may want to try and fix it later).

Go to Settings > General > Reset and then Erase All Contents and Settings. The next time the iPad starts it will take you through a setup procedure that does not require connecting to iTunes. As long as nothing weird happens (and it shouldn't) you are good to go. Otherwise you''ll end up with the same USB ---> Apple Logo screen you get when restoring iOS 4.x and earlier.

OP
Donster51

Donster51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Is your iPad updated to iOS 5.x?

If so the cord problem can be bypassed for now (though you may want to try and fix it later).

Go to Settings > General > Reset and then Erase All Contents and Settings. The next time the iPad starts it will take you through a setup procedure that does not require connecting to iTunes. As long as nothing weird happens (and it shouldn't) you are good to go. Otherwise you''ll end up with the same USB ---> Apple Logo screen you get when restoring iOS 4.x and earlier.

I have actually done that to see if it would fix the problem, then restored from the cloud. Would I have the option to set up as a new iPad without connecting to iTunes?

OP
Donster51

Donster51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drb_52 said:
Well, if it were mine, I would be real inclined to watch the video on how to disassemble one, then tear into it and see what happens. Maybe you could fix it yourself. If nothing else, I would sell the piece parts (except the hard drive and broken parts). Look at the bright side - If you record the whole process, maybe your video would go viral and you can make your money back on youtube adverts.
Good luck.

Yes, that is one of the things I've been considering.

OP
Donster51

Donster51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Now that the new iPad is out is it worth trying an Apple Store again to see if you can get a better deal?

The Archangel

Guess it's worth a try.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have actually done that to see if it would fix the problem, then restored from the cloud. Would I have the option to set up as a new iPad without connecting to iTunes?

Yes, set up as new iPad is one of he options; a few pages along the procedure. I just set up my new iPad, and if I remember right it is the first option on the same page that asks if you want to restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup.

OP
Donster51

Donster51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Yes, set up as new iPad is one of he options; a few pages along the procedure. I just set up my new iPad, and if I remember right it is the first option on the same page that asks if you want to restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup.

Great, thanks for your help, and thanks to all who responded. Several option, this one will work best for me for now.

OP
Donster51

Donster51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, found the solution, something I never thought of! I accidentally dropped it from about a foot and a half. Yep, everything has been working perfectly for the last 2 weeks. Saved a bundle on repairs!

Most reactions

Latest posts