What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken docking port

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Donster51 said:
Well, found the solution, something I never thought of! I accidentally dropped it from about a foot and a half. Yep, everything has been working perfectly for the last 2 weeks. Saved a bundle on repairs!

True story :

Before RAID technology was developed IBM midrange systems Auxilary Storage Pools (ASP) consisted of any number of model 9335 disk units. Dozens of these drives were part of the collective disk pool and losing one meant you were at risk of losing everything unless the failing drive could be "pumped" or in other words have its data successfully migrated to replacement disk that was reinserted into the ASP.

We lost a drive. IBM techs worked tirelessly to pump the failed drive with no success. We finally reconciled ourselves to a complete system rebuild. Once this was communicated to IBM the service tech looked at me and said what I'm going to do now is not in the red book manual.

He placed a phone book on the floor. He held the dead drive above the phone book and dropped it from a height of about four feet. He mounted it and attempted to pump it one final time.....with success!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
True story :

Before RAID technology was developed IBM midrange systems Auxilary Storage Pools (ASP) consisted of any number of model 9335 disk units. Dozens of these drives were part of the collective disk pool and losing one meant you were at risk of losing everything unless the failing drive could be "pumped" or in other words have its data successfully migrated to replacement disk that was reinserted into the ASP.

We lost a drive. IBM techs worked tirelessly to pump the failed drive with no success. We finally reconciled ourselves to a complete system rebuild. Once this was communicated to IBM the service tech looked at me and said what I'm going to do now is not in the red book manual.

He placed a phone book on the floor. He held the dead drive above the phone book and dropped it from a height of about four feet. He mounted it and attempted to pump it one final time.....with success!

Great story Midranger4. One of the many examples of an IBM'er THINKing out of the box. Despite many Red Books and Green Books that IBM provides often times technicians will do something that never gets into the literature. Thank you for sharing your IBM experience.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MattIM said:
Great story Midranger4. One of the many examples of an IBM'er THINKing out of the box. Despite many Red Books and Green Books that IBM provides often times technicians will do something that never gets into the literature. Thank you for sharing your IBM experience.

The leaps in technology and redundancy since then are staggering. My iSeries, well my employer actually but I've administered it for 25 years now....has not had a single unscheduled outage in my time there.

The power7 systems are simply the most reliable midrange systems on earth. They run multiple platforms natively and they don't go down. Our IBM CE is like the maytag repair man....lonely and waiting for a disk cache battery to bark every year or so for replacement....and they bark 90 days before end of life.

Our unix boxes and their oracle databases cannot make the same boast!

IBM to the end baby lol!

Thread hijack ends here sorry!

Most reactions