What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand new ipad As good as a 800 dollar paperweight

neds81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im hoping someone can give me some info on Apple Ids, as my wife and i just bought a brand new ipad 3, bear with me while i explain

As i dont own any apple products, I set up the new ipad using my wifes apple ID, which she has had for her iphone for about 2 years now.

everything went smoothly and got it up and running, but as soon as she tried to start purchasing apps for her new ipad, it asked her to answer 2 security questions

As usual of course she cant remember what her answers were and so are unable to make any purchases.

I thought that it wouldn't be a problem, just jump on itunes and reset security stuff, However to change any security settings you must do it through the AppleID website

SO i opened up firefox got to the apple id site and logged into her account, It was then i started having problems, first it takes about 2 minutes to get logged into her account, (for a multi billion dollar company i expect better servers even if im in Australia) then to change the security stuff, I have to answer the questions first, which is kinda pointless, Then i found on support that you can have a recovery email address which can reset that stuff, but my wife didn't have one set up and apparently I cant set one up until i answer the questions.

The only other option left was to contact customer support, which of course the online version was not available, so onto the phone number, which had a message that the call center was closed and for immediate support use the website (which wasn't working anyway )
And to top it all off the Apple id site wont let me do any changes at all, as it takes so long to load it just jumps back to the start as MY SESSION HAS TIMED OUT

So the end result in my opinion is really a 800 dollar paperweight, i mean the ipad is not a computer, its a device that runs APPS from the apple app store, to not be able to get any, to not be able to fix the security questions, to not have a apple id website that works, and to not even have any way of contacting customer support, IM really pissed off right now

SO my questions are what can i dO? apart from waiting until tomorrow day time and taking up my time while im at work to call the call center! is there any work around for the security questions? and has anyone else had problems with the Apple Id site not working? ie constantly timing out your session?

EDIT: I finally got the apple id to do something, added an aditional email address! OF course its not a recovery one anyway, and I cant even verify it as i have not recieved the verification email to my email address and ive tried resending it to no avail!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why don't you just restore the iPad and then create a new AppleID (there is no limit on ID's), but this time set up a recovery email and note down the security questions.

OP
N

neds81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeh thanks for the advice, I had thought of it, but its primarily gonna be my wifes ipad, and im worried it jsut gonna cause more problems, with all her content music etc being on her account and not being able to sync it to her ipad then!! :( I mean it kinda defeats the purpose of have this whole integrated ID on multiple devices etc

But i may just have to take your advice and do that!!

thanks for the help

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note: there are issues with the apple servers or, the route to their servers yesterday and today.

D

dvdcatalyst

What if you try and do some of the account adjustments on your wife's iPhone directly?

That one is already verified and activated, and you should be able to do a little more on that than on the iPad.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums from Brisbane. Just a heads up many it companies were having issues over past 48 hours Some servers were down others streaming movies were affected some of Apple services were affected but not all The reason apparently is due to massive storms in southern USA Part of your issues is your wife cannot remember the security answers or depending what level even questions That is for her protection as to avoid some one breaking into the account However once the account is reset you will be fine make sure she is aware of the answers as they will ask at any time. The issues with the Internet should settle over next few days. Hope that helps
Ps you can sync multiple devices on different accounts. I have 3 accounts works fine
Sent from my iPhone using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This might be a lesson to all of us to be more careful when using the security built into websites. Just yesterday, I had to jump through hoops to reset the password on one of my email accounts, because I'd forgotten the password.

Same goes with restrictions passwords on the iPad itself. We have had several members who have set up restrictions and found out that when they need to circumvent their restrictions, they have forgotten their password.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no way that I could remember all my passwords, etc for forums, accounts, websites etc. I keep all in a book. Some things HAVE to be written down!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
michali said:
There is no way that I could remember all my passwords, etc for forums, accounts, websites etc. I keep all in a book. Some things HAVE to be written down!

Exactly. How many people can remember their router password, for example? Relying on memory is not a good idea, and just breezing through a website, supplying information that you just KNOW you'll never need again can have unpleasant surprises.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use 1password on al iPhones and Mac book so all ate upto date. However trick questions need to recorded manually in 1 password

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts