What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/3LohMKi 🎁

iPad Apple ID changed after IOS 6 Upgrade - Can I Change Apple ID Back?

Sure. I'll give them a pop and see what happens.


Password required on both of them.
 
Last edited:
Was this a previously purchase? iOS6 no longer requires a password for these.

Haven't checked yet, but I believe free apps do not require a password either.

No, neither Jasmine, i.TV or Talkin Fred were previously "purchased" since they are free.

Jasmine was previously downloaded, right after the the upgrade to iOS 6. It required a password, but it was asking for a password from an AppleID that had never been used on the iPad before. That's what started this whole issue: the AppleID cahnged from my wife's AppleID to the one I use for iTunes on my PC after the iOS 6 upgrade.

Before changing the AppleID on the iPad I deleted Jasmine since the Verizon CSR said that it might be hard to update it if it was downloaded under a different AppleID than the one we want on the iPad. After I changed the AppleID back to my wife's, I downloaded Jasmine again but it didn't ask for a password.

I made the assumption that perhaps it didn't ask because it knew that Jasmine had been on the iPad previously, so I randomly searched for 2 more free apps just to see if they would require a password. I stumbled across i.TV and Talking Fred. Neither of them required a password.

Now I find that any free app that I try to download requires a password. I'm OK with that, I just don't understand the why different apps are acting differently and I really don't understand why the AppleID changed in the first place.
 
Sure. I'll give them a pop and see what happens.


Password required on both of them.

I called the Verizon store about the Droid issue I am having and talked to the same guy that explained to me how to change the AppleID on the iPad. He was nice to ask if I had solved my iPad issue. I told him about the password issue and he said that he thinks - not 100% sure - that Apple extended the time window for password entry.

In other words, if you've entered a password for something, you'll be able to download more apps within a 15 minute (?) window without needing to reenter the password.

I'll have to play with this when I get home tonight.
 
DerbyDad03 said:
I called the Verizon store about the Droid issue I am having and talked to the same guy that explained to me how to change the AppleID on the iPad. He was nice to ask if I had solved my iPad issue. I told him about the password issue and he said that he thinks - not 100% sure - that Apple extended the time window for password entry.

In other words, if you've entered a password for something, you'll be able to download more apps within a 15 minute (?) window without needing to reenter the password.

I'll have to play with this when I get home tonight.

That's true. The fifteen minute window was introduced a while ago, with 5.1, I believe. I'd forgotten about that. When I tried the two free apps you mentioned, I cancelled when I was asked for my password, so the next download required the password too.
 
I feel your pain!

This exact thing happened to me when I upgraded, as well! My iTunes is now set to my son's account. He graciously shared his password with me, and I am trying to figure out how to change back to my (much less interesting) iTunes account. I, as well, am flummoxed as to how the heck this happened.

The upgrade was done OTA. When I went into the App Store this weekend i got a message that the upgrade to iOS6 was ready to install. When I said OK, it asked me to enter the password. I entered the password for my wife's AppleID.

The iPad has not been connected to the PC for over a month and I've downloaded apps using my wife's AppleID password since then.

It was only after the upgrade, when I tried to download Jasmine to replace YouTube, that it wouldn't accept the password. After it failed 3 times, the iPad popped up a message asking if i wanted the password reset sent to *my* email address, the one I use for iTunes. Once I saw that, I decided to try the password for that email address and it worked.

When I checked the AppleID under settings, it was set to the iTunes email address, not my wife's AppleID.

I don't get it.
 
queenoid said:
This exact thing happened to me when I upgraded, as well! My iTunes is now set to my son's account. He graciously shared his password with me, and I am trying to figure out how to change back to my (much less interesting) iTunes account. I, as well, am flummoxed as to how the heck this happened.

To change it back...

Settings
iTunes & App Stores
Tap the AppleID
Sign Out
Tap the AppleID
Sign in
 
DerbyDad, I had the same exact issue, exactly !

After upgrading my Ipad to OS6, it change the ID to my wife's Id, since we both use the same PC. I did a search on the internet and found many people with the exact same issue after upgrading to OS6 on an Ipad with two Itunes ID's on the same PC.
 
DerbyDad, your solution did not work for me because my Ipad has my correct ID in the settings but when I try and download and update to an App, it wants my wife's Id. ...Weird, it is like half of the Ipad using my ID and the other half uses my wifes ID. When I try and update an app, it still shows my wife's ID, even when I follow your suggested fix.
 
gsouth said:
DerbyDad, your solution did not work for me because my Ipad has my correct ID in the settings but when I try and download and update to an App, it wants my wife's Id. ...Weird, it is like half of the Ipad using my ID and the other half uses my wifes ID. When I try and update an app, it still shows my wife's ID, even when I follow your suggested fix.

That is because the apps where bought using your wife's AppleID. That is how Apple manages licenses for the apps you acquire. It is almost the same as when you go to a store and buy a product with a credit card. You bring it home and everyone in the household can use it. But, if you all decide it is not what you need and return it, the store will credit back the credit card you used to purchase it.
 
That is because the apps where bought using your wife's AppleID. That is how Apple manages licenses for the apps you acquire. It is almost the same as when you go to a store and buy a product with a credit card. You bring it home and everyone in the household can use it. But, if you all decide it is not what you need and return it, the store will credit back the credit card you used to purchase it.

I think you may have missed the original issue. The problem is that the iPad changed the AppleID after the upgrade to
IOS6. In my case all apps our iPad2 were installed with my wife's AppleID. My AppleID was never used on the iPad.
However, as soon as we installed the IOS6 upgrade, using my wife's password as always, the iPad was suddenly signed in with my AppleId, the one I use for iTunes on my PC. I never signed onto the iPad with my AppleID -ever-, yet as soon as the upgrade was complete, my AppleID was showing in the iCloud account field. We had to sign out of my AppleID then sign back in with hers in order to get the iPad back to accepting her password for downloads again.

To use your analogy, it was as if we bought something on my wife's credit card, but when we went back to the store they had it listed under my name.
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back
Top