What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blurry photos iPad 3

anthonyq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have loaded about 60 photos on to my iPad 3, when viewing them they appear blurry for a few seconds,which can vary from 2 to 6 seconds before they become clear. When I view them in a slideshow in Albums they do not have time to become clear before moving to the next slide, thus they are virtually un watchable. I'm sure I did not have this problem in the past when viewing photos. Advice please

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think it's because of the amount of megapixel of the picture that might be effecting the time it loads?

OP
A

anthonyq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimmonkey, thank you for the reply.
Good thinking, you may be right. Do you know what is the recomended max, or where I can find out? What I can't understand though is when played in "Photos" or "Albums" they are fuzzy/blurry as stated above in my first post, but when played in "Photo Frame" mode, they view o.k.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good thinking, you may be right. Do you know what is the recomended max, or where I can find out? What I can't understand though is when played in "Photos" or "Albums" they are fuzzy/blurry as stated above in my first post, but when played in "Photo Frame" mode, they view o.k.

Hello Anthony,
Have you tried increasing the time in which each photo is viewed during a slide show? This may fix your problem
Richard

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hi Anthony--I tried to find an absolute max for image size/megapixel. Since you didn't give me specifics I can only assume that the pics that you have loaded are at least 5 MP or more? Loading and then viewing high graphic pics could be the issue depending on which iPad type you have and the amount of RAM capacity it has. This happens to me quite a bit with high graphic PDFs I view. So maybe this is what is happening to you.

I am no expert in photography/image to screen concepts, so I will let others who know chime in. However, this is my guess as to what may be happening. Hope that helps. :)

OP
A

anthonyq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have looked at the size of the photos on the PC, they seem to vary from 5mb to 12mb / photo. I thought good that may be the problem, but no. On checking some of the larger photos are o.k, and some of the smaller sized show fuzzy.

P.S
Is there a way to check the size of a photo when they are on the iPad 3 ?.

OP
A

anthonyq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgot to mention in my previous posting that changing the viewing time from 5 sec to 10sec does seem to cure the problem, but seems way to long when view large amounts of photos.
Is there a way to may be set the time to 6/7 secs ?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have looked at the size of the photos on the PC, they seem to vary from 5mb to 12mb / photo. I thought good that may be the problem, but no. On checking some of the larger photos are o.k, and some of the smaller sized show fuzzy. P.S Is there a way to check the size of a photo when they are on the iPad 3 ?.

Hi Anthony - let me just make a few comments that might help: 1) Your iPad 3 has 'retina display' (1536 x 2048 pixel size) which is 4X the resolution compared to by iPad 2; however, that device has the same CPU as my older iPad, i.e. 1 GHz A5X (the newest iPad has a 1.3 GHz A6X processor and is faster); and 2) the overall pixel 'area' on your retinal iPad is still only 3 MP (see the chart below) - SO, I suspect that your iPad 3 is trying to portray rather LARGE images (5 to 12 MB as above) on a high-resolution screen using a slower CPU. You might try to 're-size' your images before putting the pics on the iPad or reduce the size on the iPad w/ the appropriate app - will this work? Not sure but simple to test.

Just to mention 2 apps on my iPad that can provide metadata on your photos there, give iPhoto or Photogene a try - the latter will also allow you to export your images at a smaller size. Finally, if not already done, go through the quoted steps below, i.e. 'Force Close' the native Photo app and check; if not effective, do the other suggestions in sequence and check after each maneuver - probably will not help but who knows - you're basically re-booting a computer. Good luck and let us know your results - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 11.10.12 AM.png

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up); press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

Last edited:
OP
A

anthonyq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman,
thank you for the info. If I understand correctly, the photo size that is ideal for the iPad 3 is 1536 x 2048. So for a general size photos, my photos need cropping at 5in x 7in @ 300ppi ?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
giradman,
thank you for the info. If I understand correctly, the photo size that is ideal for the iPad 3 is 1536 x 2048. So for a general size photos, my photos need cropping at 5in x 7in @ 300ppi ?

Hi again Anthony - well, the iPad will resize images when imported to 'optimize' each for viewing on the device, so checking their 'size' on the iPad w/ one of the apps mentioned in my previous post would be helpful. What is most important in this typical 'downsizing' on the iPad is that its main purpose is for viewing photos (and not for storage of a large number at their original size - if you want to keep your images at their maximum pixel density, then use a computer, an attached hard drive, and/or an appropriate cloud service).

Since the iPad will automatically 'downsize' your larger photos, then reducing each to the size mentioned in your post (i.e. 5" x 7") may not be necessary - all that I can say is try to make a few 'smaller' and give it a try - no promises here. Also, keep in mind that the chart I posted is more important in understanding pixel size when printing out images - the 300 ppi translates to 300 dpi which is a standard for printing images w/ good resolution (of course requires a LOT more pixels); however, the pixel density needed on a computer monitor is much less (72 ppi is often used although the iPad w/ retina display portrays at a much higher pixel number).

My bottom line - first, 'Restart' or 'Reset' your iPad just to see if that makes a difference; second, downsize a handful of your images & put them on the iPad just to see if the change in size helps; and finally, don't use your iPad as the main 'storage location' for you high pixel density photos - you may want to print some out at sizes larger that just 5" x 7" (e.g. I print out some of my travel photos at 8" x 10" and then make my own frames - my digital camera takes images up to 14 MP - usually a 5 MP+ size reduction gives me a nice photo). Please post back your results and if you still have questions, then ask away - this stuff is really confusing! Dave :)

OP
A

anthonyq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman, as other sets of pictures where playing o.k I started of by resizing a bunch of photos, then loaded them onto my iPad (via Dropbox) which opened and played them o.k. So I did the same to the rest of the photos, 71 in total. They now seem to be loading/playing as they should.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

anthonyq.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
giradman, as other sets of pictures where playing o.k I started of by resizing a bunch of photos, then loaded them onto my iPad (via Dropbox) which opened and played them o.k. So I did the same to the rest of the photos, 71 in total. They now seem to be loading/playing as they should.

anthonyq.

I'm happy to read that your problem has now been sorted out Anthony.
:)

Richard

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

anthonyq.

Great Anthony - glad that all seems well at the moment! :)

kizmazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad started taking photos with one corner or larger area.
I made sure that the lens is clean and unobstructed.
thanks!
ron

Most reactions