What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad emailed photos blurry

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My 81 yo mother has an iPad Mini 4, running the last version of iOS 10. When she emails photos they arrive very blurry. All photos, whether they're uploaded from her camera, or screenshots taken on the iPad.
This tells me the iPad mail app is resizing them, but I can't find a way to prevent it, or even find any setting that might have been inadvertently turned on or altered. Mail isn't asking her which size photos to send, the size is whatever it chooses automatically.
She uses the iPad mail app.
She's not very tech savvy, she's definitely not been playing around in the settings altering things.
Many other members of my family have iPads, Minis and iPhones ranging from iPad 2 to iPad Pro, Mini 2, and iPhones 4, 5, SE & 8, and none of us have this problem.
Photos are fine when AirDropped, it's only when emailing.
Any suggestions please?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After adding an attachment to an email, tap the Cc/Bcc fileld to expand it. You should see some choices for image size. This selection is sticky, so if she selected it once (by whatever means) images will be sent at that size until the selection is changed.

If the images are under a certain size, the selection will not show. In that case, the images are probably beind downsized before they are attached to the email. I’d need more details on how the images are being captured and attached to the email before I could make a better guess.

34A7E8F7-8535-4E58-A571-994A36CDF4F4.jpeg

OP
A

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, I'm aware of this feature. Occasionally I've emailed a large number of photos and have been prompted to choose an image size. I'm fairly sure Mum isn't routinely using this feature as she would've called me to ask what it meant if the prompt popped up!

My sister routinely email multiple photos (up to about 6 or 7 per message) that are always clear at the destination, and the iPad rarely prompts me to choose an image size. Mum sent me 5 photos yesterday that were so blurry as to be useless.

Some of the images are photos from a digital camera, transferred to the iPad using a lightning to USB camera cable, but some are photos or screenshots taken on the iPad and saved directly to the camera roll. This is why I think the problem must be in the email step, as the images are clear in her camera roll.

She sent me 3 today that we're clearer, I'm waiting for her reply as to whether she did something different today (although I can't think what).

OP
A

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I overlooked the part about sticky settings. I'll double check if this is enabled Mum's iPad as soon as I am able.

After adding an attachment to an email, tap the Cc/Bcc fileld to expand it. You should see some choices for image size. This selection is sticky, so if she selected it once (by whatever means) images will be sent at that size until the selection is changed.

If the images are under a certain size, the selection will not show. In that case, the images are probably beind downsized before they are attached to the email. I’d need more details on how the images are being captured and attached to the email before I could make a better guess.

View attachment 80986

Most reactions