What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BlueFire reader freezes iPad2

Speedin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@mickey. Thnx... The methode i thought work, only works sometimes for some reason, so overdrive seems to work as it should with my library

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Unfortunately, the "fix" was kind of a hack in the first place. With the upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, whatever worked by using Backgrounder for Bluefire must have been changed or broken. As the jailbreak on iOS 5.1.1 is so new, I've not heard of any workarounds being developed or released.

All I can suggest is to use Overdrive if you want to get library books and wait to see if anyone works on this freezing issue under the new iOS.

Sorry, but that's where we are.

Marilyn

Thanks for this info, had no idea this app was out there! When signing up it asks for library card number and pin- does your library give you the pin?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. When you first initialize your library card, you choose the PIN. As far as I remember, if you don't have one, you can go to your library (online or in person) and set up a new PIN. Worse comes to worse, contact your librarian. They'll be able to help...

Marilyn

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
No. When you first initialize your library card, you choose the PIN. As far as I remember, if you don't have one, you can go to your library (online or in person) and set up a new PIN. Worse comes to worse, contact your librarian. They'll be able to help...

Marilyn

Ok thanks , never set up a pin when I got my card I'll give them a call

OP
Coffeeboy

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great! I'm not able to use my library card inside Overdrive, but I can borrow books nevertheless and read them with it! Thanks again for being such a deep well of knowledge to delve from, iPadforums! :)

Does iBook support the ePub-format, anyone? Don't like the way Overdrive "flips" the pages, really...

//Stefan ☕

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great! I'm not able to use my library card inside Overdrive, but I can borrow books nevertheless and read them with it! Thanks again for being such a deep well of knowledge to delve from, iPadforums! :)

Does iBook support the ePub-format, anyone? Don't like the way Overdrive "flips" the pages, really...

//Stefan ☕

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, when it comes to reading library books, it's Overdrive or nothing. iBooks can't read library books because of the DRM.

Although, you might want to see if the library has Kindle books. You might be happier with the Kindle app. I just downloaded a library book the other day and, although I put it on my actual Kindle, I believe there was an option to send it the iPad's Kindle app.

Just a thought...

Marilyn

OP
Coffeeboy

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...might want to see if the library has Kindle books.

How do I recognize this? Should it say "Kindle"? in that case it's Overdrive for me, I'm afraid...

I saw a Kindle pad in action at the poolside when in Turkey recently. Holy Canneloni, the contrast! It looked like a proper printed book page!

//Stefan ☕

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do I recognize this? Should it say "Kindle"? in that case it's Overdrive for me, I'm afraid...

I saw a Kindle pad in action at the poolside when in Turkey recently. Holy Canneloni, the contrast! It looked like a proper printed book page!

//Stefan ☕

Yeah, when you are checking out the book from your library, if it's available, it'll offer the Kindle book as an available option to download. No offer = no kindle book available.

And, yeah, e-ink readers are pretty cool. Although, to me, they all look pretty much the same, screen-wise. I have a Kindle so it can sync with the app on my iPhone and iPad.

Regardless and again, IMNSHO, for an extended reading session, nothing beats an e-ink reader. Well, except maybe an actual paper book ... but who wants THAT?! :D

Marilyn

OP
Coffeeboy

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
PAPER book? What's that? ;)

Think it's a no-go for me. Pity... Well, s'pose the reading itself is the important thing of this matter anyways... :)

//Stefan ☕

systemlord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I liked the "fix" before, but as you mention with the new JB it does not work, but where can i get the Overdrive

EDIT: i have found out that when i'm in Bluefire reader and instead of pushing the "Home button" once to acces the desktop (an then freeze) i can push the "home button" twice so the pop up of the background programs comes up and then i can chose one program from there. The other program will swich/open as it should and from there i can push the Home button once to access the "Desktop"

I still have Backgrounder installed. I hope the "fix" helps untill a real solution arrives.
Hi Speedin,

I used the original solution of this problem to fix my iPhone4S with iOS 5.0.1 installed which worked a treat, but just encountered that also this solution doesn’t work now for my jail broken iPhone4S with 5.1.1 installed.

Determined to fix this issue I changed the override to "forced" instead of "Off" and to my surprise the freezing went away. I tested the method with "Native" which did not work also.

The other condition that will need to be considered is that I’m running Bluefire reader version 1.7 which is the current version as I type this.

Hope this helps others as I know most of you have iPad’s but this solution works on the iPhone4S version.

EDIT: I have discovered that pressing the "Home" button doesn’t freeze the iPhone using this method but pressing the "Lock" button on the iPhone does cause it to freeze using this fix method. I am yet to find a fix for this yet.

Last edited:

JoarYeah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Not a fix but at least it's faster:

Use SBsettings (after installation default is to swipe left or right on the clock) and press respring. This way you won't have to wait the two minutes or so for the device to do this by itself.

Hope they fix this problem soon, read on their site that they are working on it.

martinsm007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
School is starting, but still bluefire don't have any fixes for jailbroken devices and it sucks, because my virtual school books works only on those apps which uses adobe id and there about 5-6 apps like that and all of them have the same problem like bluefire and maybe it's not the bluefire fault, but maybe Adobe is guilty for this problem?!? I will be very, very grateful if someone fixes this issue....

Starrox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortuntely, it doesn't look like there'll be a fix anytime soon:

mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2172762&postcount=794

God, those bad reviews torture me endlessly. It is something we can't fix due to how we use C++ libraries (rendering engine) and how that relates to memory management. You could get an app like backgrounder to force the app to quit when you exit it, or you could download "ebooks reader" by the German company "libri.de" which is just Bluefire Reader with a different skin. They had so many jailbroken devices in Germany that we changed the app so it quits whenever a user switches to a different app rather than going into the background.

I haven't tried ebookS Reader yet, though, so I don't know if it really works, especially since it hasn't been updated in almost a year.

terrpy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iOS 5.1.1 and can confirm a workaround using Backgrounder, installed in Cydia.

In Backgrounder, make an override for BlueFire, and set it to "Off," which will force BlueFire to quit instead of trying to go into the background, which we know doesn't work.

Pressing Home after making the override will cause a respring. After that, BlueFire should work fine. No more freezes. But every time you come back to BlueFire, it has to start from the beginning.

Last edited:

martinsm007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iOS 5.1.1 and can confirm a workaround using Backgrounder, installed in Cydia.

In Backgrounder, make an override for BlueFire, and set it to "Off," which will force BlueFire to quit instead of trying to go into the background, which we know doesn't work.

Pressing Home after making the override will cause a respring. After that, BlueFire should work fine. No more freezes. But every time you come back to BlueFire, it has to start from the beginning.

I don't really understand what should I do to don't cause freezes. I tried to make new bluefire override and set it to off, but it still freezes my ipad when I shut down bluefire. Can you please make step by step what you do to don't make freezes, I would be very very grateful if you can do that. Thank You!

Most reactions

Latest posts