What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audiobook reader for iPad

pawnslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I searched and searched, finally I found an audiobook reader app that I liked best, but it''s not perfect. I am blind... well, 20/800 or worse in both eyes, so I listen to a LOT of audiobooks. I have to constantly use a magnifying glass or giant fonts to read any computer screen (even the iPad). I subscribe to the library books for the blind (I have one of their special machines to listen to the tapes). And I am spoiled by it. These machines have speed/pitch controls. The player software that comes with the iPad will allow the speed of playback to be changed for audiobooks, but it is rather granular, not a very fine adjustment, as would be appreciated. On my PC, I use VLC, which is really ideal, it has a great speed control and a graphic equalizer, and it really helps a lot with many books that are hard to make out... or that you would like to "speed read".

Anyway, I found an app, called "Audiobook & Podcast". It is really pretty neat. It was written for the iPhone/iPod, but works well on the iPad2 that I own. I don't even mind the iPhone screen, as it is easier for me to read. I had heard the author was responsive to user requests, so I sent him some feedback and asked for speed/pitch controls. He said that Apple doesn't allow these controls to 3rd party authors!

I think that stinks! Apple should allow 3rd party authors to use these controls, or upgrade the iPod app to have better controls for audiobooks. A better speed control, a pitch control and bookmarks would also be nice.

Most reactions

Latest posts