What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest annoyance with the iPad?

What are your biggest annoyances with the iPad? (4.2.1)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f348a9f5.png

Snafu169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steve Jobs has a deep seeded hate for Flash, it's been this way for a while, a well known fact, constantly whining about it is only going to get you a sore throat or carpal tunnel syndrome.

I'm actually not whining about it, I just made my point and responded to others... called a discussion.. sorry some of you have been here longer and have beaten the subject to death, I am just adding my 2 cents.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My biggest annoyance with the Ipad is the lack of a clock application. When traveling with the device, it would be nice to be able to set an alarm (to wake up for example). I don't really understand why Apple left this out. The iPhone and iPod Touch both have this feature and we are running the same OS. Because any real clock functionality is left out, you have to resort to purchasing an alarm clock app that needs to be left open to function.

I guess in general I find it disappointing that many of the built in apps were not included with the iPad. There is no weather app, no stock app, no clock, no calculator. All of these are included with the other iOS devices. The iPad is a premium priced device. It seems like these things could have been included, but I guess Apple couldn't resist the extra cash they get from users having to buy those things that are already functioning components of the OS.

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can't view my spam folder in e-mail. Maybe it's a setting I missed, but I can't. I do like to read through it before I empty it just in case something important found it's way in there. So I have to log onto the computer for that.

Lots of Youtube videos won't play on the iPad. The first video I attempted to view wouldn't play actually, and a lot in my favorites list won't.

Not being able to lock the orientation anymore. I have some things that need to be viewed sideways but the screen just keeps scrolling from vertical to horizontal when I try, so I can't view it correctly. Maybe a new app would help but at the moment it's an annoyance.

My entire ibooks library was wiped out when I updated. Luckily they were all free selections from the ibooks store.

Having to convert videos. It's not a big deal, but not having to would be cool. In fact, having more file types across the board be supported would be cool.

And some front facing stereo speakers would have been cool too. No big deal that it doesn't have them though.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
My biggest annoyance with the Ipad is the lack of a clock application. When traveling with the device, it would be nice to be able to set an alarm (to wake up for example). I don't really understand why Apple left this out. The iPhone and iPod Touch both have this feature and we are running the same OS. Because any real clock functionality is left out, you have to resort to purchasing an alarm clock app that needs to be left open to function.

I guess in general I find it disappointing that many of the built in apps were not included with the iPad. There is no weather app, no stock app, no clock, no calculator. All of these are included with the other iOS devices. The iPad is a premium priced device. It seems like these things could have been included, but I guess Apple couldn't resist the extra cash they get from users having to buy those things that are already functioning components of the OS.
Couldn't you implement this with the calender app somehow? I've not tried it, but I would think it is doable.

DewWorm

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Have you tried the "Night Stand" app? It works very well for me as an alarm clock, especially after the 4.21 update. Is there a place on this forum for requesting/suggesting apps to developers (I have to go pick up my grandson right now or I would have searched the site before writing that)?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am one happy puppy

I use the ipad heavily and it has virtually replaced my MacBook. I have been using. Ios4.2 since beta one and once the released version came out all the small problems i had vanished. I do not understand why every one is so upset with the hardware lock change as i rather like the software change. I hardly switch mine to vertical mode as it's in landscape 80% of the time
The upgrade performs as advertised I understand some users are having issues with the camera connection kit but again it is not something i use.

My iPad has same battery life as before connects to the wifi faster and overall is a big improvement over the previous os. The only new feature I have not used is printing but in saying that one of my clients advised he had excellent results.

I stated in another post that some users have problems with syncing and back up still. I have researched this an experimented and found win 64 and vista on PC,s takes longer and sometime freezes during backing up. Funny enough xp And win7 32 ( both new laptops) worked ok however the XP was a factory restored pc laptop. In almost every case using mac osx 10.6.5 all went smoothly. We did have to sync twice on 3 ipads as for some reason the songs did not sync first time through. As I was running beta i actually did a full restore before reinstalling the released version of 4.2 The one computer that was amazing and real fast was a brand new Mac mini with a 3 month old iPad completed the whole process with out a hiccup and fast.
One would hope Apple will improve iTunes soon as this seems to be the problem child particularly on a PC. My testing was completed on 8 computers with the assistance of clients and friends. Hope this is helps some users.

Last edited:

OldKong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lack of printing ability. I have Win 7, 64 bit and have tried all the helps I could find to print to my Brother printer, no love. Everything else is fine.

Mr. Ected

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steve Jobs has a deep seeded hate for Flash, it's been this way for a while, a well known fact, constantly whining about it is only going to get you a sore throat or carpal tunnel syndrome.

I'm actually not whining about it, I just made my point and responded to others... called a discussion.. sorry some of you have been here longer and have beaten the subject to death, I am just adding my 2 cents.

There is a Flash-oriented browser for iPhone called Skyfire, and the makers claim that they or working on one for the iPad.

They say it doesn't do games, but does regular flash-oriented web stuff.

DewWorm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys....seriously give up the flash! IT IS NOT EVER GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but if I am asked what my biggest annoyance with the iPad (or variations on that theme), I have to be honest and say the lack of flash IS my biggest annoyance.

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPad is great fun, very convenient for many things and, as my eyes age and the crystalline lens looses more elasticity, the large sharp display is magnificent. But it does not fill all my "wants" in a tablet, and others who may be doing their due diligence before buying should be aware that current owners feel there are shortcomings. Man made things will always have imperfections, but that is not to say the thing is useless or make it of no value.

And seriously, for a person to have the tag line, "I never give up....", don't you think asking others to give up or to stop voicing their opinions, even if on a lost cause (in your opinion), is a bit much? It has been said that hope springs eternal in the human breast. Didn't you ever watch "Angels in the Outfield"? It could happen....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts