What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best stylus for painting?

LordStyphon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, just for all who think iPad is bad for drawings:

David Hockney’s discovery of the inexpensive drawing application called Brushes for iPhones and iPads opened up a different world for the English artist. Sometimes on a daily basis, during the past few years, Hockney has created more than 400 drawings, first on his iPhone, and later on his iPad. Louisiana’s installation includes several hundred of the works displayed on 20 iTouches; 20 iPads; a triptych slide show directed by the artist especially for the Louisiana Museum and several projections.

See and read more here...

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Not yet, but it's on my birthday present list :)

I can't really image it to be any better/worse than a good existing stylus. They're all much of a muchness in essence. What we really need is a proper wacom style tablet/stylus. I'm sure we'll get there sooner or later.

I think you are right... best not to expect too much. There are some reviews on Amazon which are pretty clear. I have the Boxwave and the Targus so far. Both are pretty good, the Targus requires a little less pressure to "grab" the screen, but I've been using the Boxwave lately and it's just a matter of a little time before one is used to one or the other. I'll probably go for the Wacom once it becomes available and will post my impressions here. The Nomad Brush seems to be the best move for me right now, thanks for the thread.

Last edited:

Golfnut61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought and iStylus and it does not work on my iPad 2 ... Wonder if that is because I have a screen guard on it. Or is it just a lousy product & I should take it back?

sky2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just tried and bought Bamboo Styls from WACOM, it's amazing pen, try it with Penultimate apps,

LordStyphon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought 2 Boxwave 1long and 1short pen and think the long one is okay - the short just for fun.
The long is okay for medium and thick brushing but would like a pen that dont hide the work when using a small brush.
Think it must have a long small head not to hide the work.
Anyone having this problem too ? and what pen ?

JackalIK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have found a good stylus for both drawing and note taking. It's called an Aponyo Click Stylus. I like it because it has a fabric tip and so very little resistance (unlike a rubber tipped one). It also retracts so it doesn't get damaged. I have only found it for sale here in the UK:

www.accessor-i.com

If you live in US it's on Amazon.com though

Last edited:

shae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
potsville.wordpress.com
image-2535783335.jpg

This is a sampling of paintings I did in ArtRage with boxwave, nomad brush, and chop stakes (this last is a set of two you can use with one hand to pinch and so on...I really like to use one for painting). I like and use all of these.

dennyclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad

I have used a couple of different stylus's, started with pogo, moved to boxwave and most recently the nomad brush...
On to the best painting stylus on the market. (In my opinion and that of EVERYONE i know who has tried it) ..

Most reactions