What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Remote Desktop App

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firewall or Anti-virus.... Or it could be your router firewall... Not really sure.

MJ5150

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is everyone doing to keep your remote machine available? Turning off the sleep/hibernate option and leaving it on all day? I tried enabling the "let this device wake the computer" option in device manager on the NIC, but there are still times I need someone at home to go wiggle the mouse or log in in so I can connect.

Will any of the apps mentioned here allow you to connect even if the monitor goes blank or the computer goes to sleep?

-Mike

ocp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is everyone doing to keep your remote machine available? Turning off the sleep/hibernate option and leaving it on all day? I tried enabling the "let this device wake the computer" option in device manager on the NIC, but there are still times I need someone at home to go wiggle the mouse or log in in so I can connect.

Will any of the apps mentioned here allow you to connect even if the monitor goes blank or the computer goes to sleep?

-Mike

Just dont turn your pc off, they dont need to be shut down or even put to sleep. Restart once a week, put a screen saver on or and your fine. If you want anything to be put to sleep its the monitor.

Mart1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the app iRule and the wake on lan option in it, to start up my htpc's when they are shutdown.

There are also other apps such as: iWOL -wake on lan

BTW: I also used the command in windows 7: control userpassword 2
to bypass the login for my user account on the htpc's.

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Veency.... but need to be jailbroken to use it.

Michael

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Screens apparently only offers external (outside netwrok) access for Macs with 10.6, which takes it off the table for Windows users like me.

I wonder what the rationale is for pricing apps is sometimes. Though Screens is apparently on sale right now for $4.99, it's normally $14.99 and I've seen other VNC clients that ask even more. Splashtop is $1.99 now but they started at that price as well, and concede they didn't become the number one business app outside the US until they dropped their price.

I'd love an in-depth comparison of the top clients though. Really, it doesn't seem like many iPad users use these apps in the US.

soundsgoodtome

iPF Noob
Reaction score

another brief mention:

Screens: An Entirely Touch-Based VNC Client :: App Advice

would love to see an in-depth review somewhere. a matter of time, i suppose.

i've given up on remotetap. a year ago, i thought it was the top of the heap. now its long in the tooth: no substantial updates in ages, no ipad version, and the developer has stopped responding to users.

there's enough buzz about screens that i took the plunge, while it's on sale. tech-blogger john gruber recommends it, among others. i haven't had time to play with it yet, but i had to make a choice, so i did.

texlouis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Controlling multiple screens from an Ipad

Question for those out there with experience with remote desktop apps. Is it possible to control multiple screens on a remote computer? For example, if I had a pc set up with 3 monitors, could I control what is displayed on those monitors through my ipad?

Just trying to figure this out before I take the plunge into this setup.
Thanks.

MJ5150

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of the RDP clients out there for iPad offer the feature to control multiple desktop screens.

-Mike

ocp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question for those out there with experience with remote desktop apps. Is it possible to control multiple screens on a remote computer? For example, if I had a pc set up with 3 monitors, could I control what is displayed on those monitors through my ipad?

Just trying to figure this out before I take the plunge into this setup.
Thanks.

VNC does fine, one of my work comps has 6 monitors, works fine.

Last edited:

dcpmark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone who has used most or all of them weigh in on which would be the fastest app over 3G? The app would also have to work with OSX 10.5. I've got Jump installed, and it works great over wifi, but in my experience it is almost unusable over 3G.

On a side note, I can't figure out how to move windows around with Jump....anyone?

recDNA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does iTeleport work well over 3g? I've tried RealVNC and it works well but there is still a few second lag. It's worth the cost if the lag is a second or less. How do youtube videos look?

Also, which works faster on the same host machine, RDP or VNC?

Desktop Connect works pretty well on 3G.

I was pretty much busy with the same question over the last week or so and finally made my decision towards Desktop Connect.

Why? Because it got excellent reviews and I didn't see a significant benefit for Teleport or LogMeIn....

I have the 16 gb WiFi version of IPAD. Actually, it is my wife's present from me so it is my job to set everything up for her.

Everything is working well although I like the open file system much better in my Droid (I'm using SugarSync to manage files) but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, if I install Desktop Connect can I literally watch a Tv show on her Ipad that I have saved on my Desktop in Windows Media Center(same Wifi Network of course). Will the video on the IPAD be as smooth as on the Desktop?

Can I compose and save Word and Excel files on the desktop then just sync them to the IPAD in SugarSync by savingthem in the folder I have set up for Sync through Sugar Sync?

Will I be able to connect to my Desktop Computer (VISTA Premium Home Edition) from another WiFi network or do I need to be at home for it to worK?

Thanks for your patience with a total Newbie.

Last edited:

MJ5150

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will I be able to connect to my Desktop Computer (VISTA Premium Home Edition) from another WiFi network or do I need to be at home for it to worK?

To my knowledge, you can not use RDP to connect to the home version of Vista.

-Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts