What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Remote Desktop App

Mart1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the screens work for Windows?
Splashtop does have the best graphics and sound, but I can't for the life of me get it to work off my home network, even with Port Forwarding. :(

Me neither. I come so far as the screen with tips and then I got constantly a message from ST "connection lost".

Logmein works fine and is rock stable for me, but I would love to try out ST for the the graphics and audio.

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can someone who has done it help?

Yes, I've done it. No, I can't help. The problem Splashtop support runs into is that every configuration is different - people are running different software, hardware and using different ISPs, but they want you to say "Sure - type in A here, type a B there, reboot and you're good to go!" I've set up 3 people and in each case I went to their homes and worked thru their configuration until it connected. And then there's the issue of their IP address changing every week or two.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good point about the IP. I run static IPs so that issue did not affect me.

I don't know AT&T's policy on that (they're my ISP), but most providers apparently don't permit it. They reset my IP every other Friday, as far as I've been able to tell, not counting me re-booting my router. Since Splashtop doesn't work with DYDNS and other DNS service since it requires an IP address rather than a URL.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. That makes Splashtop a non-starter in my book. The is no reason any Internet app should require an ip address.

Mart1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, I'm not talking about logging in from outside my home to my pc.
I can't get it even to run properly on my own lan.

It begins already with problems after a succesfull installation of the server software. When I fire up the server software up to get the properties pop up, 9 of the 10 times it doesn't even comes up and I do have then more instances running in my taskmanager. Rebooting does help sometimes to get the pop up running.

When I try to log in then to that pc I'm getting the message from ST "connection lost" loop

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got Splashtop to work fine, but it wouldn't survive a reboot to the Windows welcome log-on screen. That killed ST for my purposes... unattended 24/7 maintenance.
Splashtop is not really meant for that kind of thing. You have to use the right tool for the job. What Splashtop does, and does better than any other remote app at the moment, is perform FAST. Video, Flash, sound... it's like being at the remote PC. So if that speed is what you want, you can get it with Splashtop.

I often DO want that speed.... so if I can't get in via Splashtop to my Windows box (no issues with my Mac) I simple get the Windows box going with iTap RDP. Now if I was remoting in for maintenance and not entertainment I would be using RDP in the first place, and not Splashtop.

You don't even have to use a paid RDP app to kick start the Windows box. You can use one of the free RDP apps... or VNC.

Michael

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know AT&T's policy on that (they're my ISP), but most providers apparently don't permit it. They reset my IP every other Friday, as far as I've been able to tell, not counting me re-booting my router. Since Splashtop doesn't work with DYDNS and other DNS service since it requires an IP address rather than a URL.

Not true. I use Splashtop remotely using a URL that is tied to dyndns.

Yes the setup screen says "IP address" but it does not mean you have to use IP address. A URL works just as well.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. That makes Splashtop a non-starter in my book. The is no reason any Internet app should require an ip address.

It doesn't require an IP address... works fine with a URL.

Michael

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Splashtop is not really meant for that kind of thing. You have to use the right tool for the job. What Splashtop does, and does better than any other remote app at the moment, is perform FAST. Video, Flash, sound... it's like being at the remote PC. So if that speed is what you want, you can get it with Splashtop.

I often DO want that speed.... so if I can't get in via Splashtop to my Windows box (no issues with my Mac) I simple get the Windows box going with iTap RDP. Now if I was remoting in for maintenance and not entertainment I would be using RDP in the first place, and not Splashtop.

You don't even have to use a paid RDP app to kick start the Windows box. You can use one of the free RDP apps... or VNC.

Michael

True. But I was unable to discover that until I bought it and found out by experience that it wouldn't survive the reboot. ST CS confirmed it too.

So I don't use the iPad for such maintenance type work. Yet. I'm keeping my eyes open for the right product... or the right price on Ignition since I already have an installed base of logmein hosts.

I never used ST long enough to see the speed differences you note. I figure if I have to use another RDP program to log in, there's not much point to switching back over to ST. But if there's a significant speed difference, perhaps I should take another look.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True. But I was unable to discover that until I bought it and found out by experience that it wouldn't survive the reboot. ST CS confirmed it too.

So I don't use the iPad for such maintenance type work. Yet. I'm keeping my eyes open for the right product... or the right price on Ignition since I already have an installed base of logmein hosts.

I never used ST long enough to see the speed differences you note. I figure if I have to use another RDP program to log in, there's not much point to switching back over to ST. But if there's a significant speed difference, perhaps I should take another look.
Oh, Speed, there is a big difference. I only use Splashtop for media or flash. I even play Flash-based games via ST. Or I can call up a video that I cannot play on my iPad through it. If I try that through iTap or whatnot it would be a joke. But with ST it plays as if I am right there at the PC/Mac.

But as far as other remote features, ST is weak. Doesn't let you zoom in on where you need to click the remote mouse, etc. So I really don't use it for much other than what it excels at.

Michael

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since Splashtop doesn't work with DYDNS and other DNS service since it requires an IP address rather than a URL.

Not true. I use Splashtop remotely using a URL that is tied to dyndns.

Yes the setup screen says "IP address" but it does not mean you have to use IP address. A URL works just as well.

You mentioned this previously and I signed up for an account with them and never got it working. I was prepared to pounce on you like a hungry grizzly for posting it again, but decided to try it once more so I could at least quote an error message when I called you out.

Darned if it didn't work just now. It appears to take longer to open the connection than the IP address, but it works. Now that you've solved this, take care of that whole cold fusion thing, would ya? :)

Most reactions