What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Remote Desktop App

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You may be in too locked-down of an environment to effectively use ST. You need to setup port forwarding too. Your machine has to be rebooted from time to time after system maintenance. Does it boot right up to the desktop?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like this (typically seen after a reboot, if not setup to skip the welcome screen):
dIAzZ.gif

That is no longer default...you now have to set it to show a welcome screen. I haven't seen an XP startup in a LONG time.....lol

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like this (typically seen after a reboot, if not setup to skip the welcome screen):

OK, thanks... ya, I never turn my computer off or log out... just lock the workstation so that shouldn't be an issue... but it just can't find the computer... set to the IP and port that the PC-side splashtop application says to have... our IT people say "we don't support that" so no help there I'm afraid... and the splash top tech support section seems very thin, lots of unanswered and unresolved questions there... guess I'm out $1.99

I don't think it'll work for you - it requires port-forwarding thru your firewall and your IT dept would likely have to configure that for you, and they'd likely be pretty reluctant to do that.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is no longer default...you now have to set it to show a welcome screen. I haven't seen an XP startup in a LONG time.....lol

We have at least 5 computers in the house (not counting the iPad or the iTouches) and all of them boot up to the welcome screen.. be it XP.home, XP.pro, Vista/32, or Windows 7/64. A number of the remote PCs I maintain also do this... but not all.

I guess it's all how you set up your environment.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does your IT Dept. Support VPN connections to the corporate network? If so port forwarding isn't required. Jump desktop (and other RDP) clients will work just fine over a VPN connection, and don't require that you leave the PC logged in and running some host software.

Bibifrine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remoter is the best Ap for me

I am using Remoter on my Ipad to connect to my Company NB running XP and Real VNC Server and to my personaö NB running Windows 7 and Ultra VNC (Real VNC was not running on my Win7 NB). Connection is fast and I can use my external Keyboard on my Ipad as well.

Cailan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not at all

For remote control you can use ActyMac DutyWatch Remote.
So you can control your Mac from iPhone/iPad.
May be it will help.

No that would only allow one to monitor usage of a Mac computer on an iPad not allow control of the Mac!

MayaD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded splashtop remote for ipad yesterday and once I set it up on my pc (just a download) I was amazed. I now have it on 2 pcs so I work on either at any time.

KekszNET

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just purchased Itap on the weekend for remote desktop app with my windows server 2003. Which is behind a ssh tunnel(!) - so first I need to connect to a server via ssh to portforward to localhost (I am doing this with iSSH on the Ipad), than I am able to connect with the remote desktop behind that "firewall").

It works like it should be, the gestures are great and the scope mode is very useful.

You need to learn that there is no mouse, need to do everything with the fingers ;-D

WEB:
iTap RDP Introduction

soundsgoodtome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
before the ipad was introduced, i did an exhaustive search for a remote app for the iphone, and the winner, hands-down was "RemoteTap." (google it for the web site; as a newbie in this forum, i can't post a link.) its feature-set is absolutely amazing, and for $5 it's a steal.

now, the caveat:

there's no ipad version, yet. users have been begging for an ipad version, but the developers haven't been responding lately. we don't know why they've been silent, but the lack of updates is responsible for the lower rating now. (previously it was at 4.5 stars!)

of course it runs on the ipad, but only in the dumb 1x or 2x modes -- not at native resolution.

all this time, i've been holding out for what seemed like the inevitable update. but as time passes, i no longer know what to think. with my luck, i'll break down and buy iTeleport, only to have RemoteTap for ipad debut within days. this developer's attention to detail is unparalleled. but obviously we can't wait forever (hence my poking around in these forums, looking for possible alternatives).

for me, the search is over.

the winner, hands-down, is "screens":

iPad Apps/Games : : AppAdvice - AppBase

Screens - VNC Client for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch

now i'm unsubscribing from this noisy thread. :)

elphillips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
before the ipad was introduced, i did an exhaustive search for a remote app for the iphone, and the winner, hands-down was "RemoteTap." (google it for the web site; as a newbie in this forum, i can't post a link.) its feature-set is absolutely amazing, and for $5 it's a steal.

now, the caveat:

there's no ipad version, yet. users have been begging for an ipad version, but the developers haven't been responding lately. we don't know why they've been silent, but the lack of updates is responsible for the lower rating now. (previously it was at 4.5 stars!)

of course it runs on the ipad, but only in the dumb 1x or 2x modes -- not at native resolution.

all this time, i've been holding out for what seemed like the inevitable update. but as time passes, i no longer know what to think. with my luck, i'll break down and buy iTeleport, only to have RemoteTap for ipad debut within days. this developer's attention to detail is unparalleled. but obviously we can't wait forever (hence my poking around in these forums, looking for possible alternatives).

for me, the search is over.

the winner, hands-down, is "screens":

iPad Apps/Games : : AppAdvice - AppBase

Screens - VNC Client for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch

now i'm unsubscribing from this noisy thread. :)
Does the screens work for Windows?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the screens work for Windows?[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't bother... I think it is pretty crappy even on a Mac. I could list any of several reasons why but suffice to say in my opinion it is not even in the running for "best" remote app.

Wyse PocketCloud cloud is better, iTap RDP is better too for a PC, and even iTap VNC is better on a Mac or PC.

And for graphics and sound Splashtop blows it outta the water.

Michael

elphillips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the screens work for Windows?
I wouldn't bother... I think it is pretty crappy even on a Mac. I could list any of several reasons why but suffice to say in my opinion it is not even in the running for "best" remote app.

Wyse PocketCloud cloud is better, iTap RDP is better too for a PC, and even iTap VNC is better on a Mac or PC.

And for graphics and sound Splashtop blows it outta the water.

Michael[/QUOTE]Splashtop does have the best graphics and sound, but I can't for the life of me get it to work off my home network, even with Port Forwarding. :(

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got Splashtop to work fine, but it wouldn't survive a reboot to the Windows welcome log-on screen. That killed ST for my purposes... unattended 24/7 maintenance.

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
speedlever said:
I got Splashtop to work fine, but it wouldn't survive a reboot to the Windows welcome log-on screen. That killed ST for my purposes... unattended 24/7 maintenance.

Did you get Splashtop to work over 3G away from the house? I am trying to get that done, but I'm too rusty on IP a dresses and routers. Can someone who has done it help?

Most reactions

Latest posts