What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best iPad case

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like something that does not distract from using the iPad as a reader while sitting in an easy chair. At the same time, I would like it to have a little protection from minor bumps. Finally, I would like to have it completely covered when it is in a briefcase or carry tote. Any recommendations?

Mike, I think you could pretty much say all the above for 99% of folio cases and sleeves. The differentiating factor between them would come down to more personal preferences, e.g.

- what material are you looking for? El cheapo silicone or hand-tooled leather?
- what functionality do you need? Should the case convert into a stand?
- what price are you looking for? Fake leather for $20 or genuine hide for $150?
- where are you using it? Personal use, in the office, presenting to clients, etc?

You mentioned using it as an eReader - perhaps you'd want to take a look at one of the minimalist-style cases created using traditional book-binding methods, so that the case resembles a hardbound book. I personally use a customized case from Treegloo Products - Customizable, Durable, Eco-friendly Cases | Made by Hand in the USA, but there are several vendors offering similar products from Portenzo, Pad and Quill and Twelve South's "BookBook" series, which you might find something you like.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for the comments.

Basically I would like a silicone skin that protects it from minor bumps around the house without adding a lot of weight and bulk. It should have a snug fit and not loosen over time. It would be nice if it was reasonably easy to put on and off. No holes in the back to allow dust to creep in. No hard plastic that does not absorb the minor bumps and adds unnecessary weight. Outdoor heat should not cause it to soften or cause other problems.

The second would be some form of a small and lightly padded sleeve/travel case that would provide protection when traveling. It should be soft inside so as not to scratch the ipad. It should be the minimum size possible to fit the iPad + skin. Zipper close to prevent unexpected opening. Handles not an issue since it would most likely be carried in a briefcase or tote.

Most likely will require two items? Quality and dependability over cost. Personal use. I hand hold most of the time so I do not think a stand is needed. I also doubt I will ever need a keyboard.

I have been searching and reading reviews to the point of data overflow. It is also difficult to see how well items meet my specs when viewing online.

Treegloo looks interesting, but it looks like it would add unneeded bulk during use?

Thanks

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, got it. I think silicone is one of those materials which has an extremely low production cost, so if you're not fussed about a "branded" product, you can find a silicone jacket off Fleabay, Amazon, etc for a couple of dollars.

As for a sleeve, you can find any number of sleeves which will protect your device, with or without a jacket/case. I personally also use a non-branded 10" neoprene sleeve that I picked up in a stationery shop, which my iPad and its Treegloo case sits inside loosely. (Some people might prefer a tight fit, but that's just me.) The advantage is that it will fit inside any bag I use, so that the bag doesn't need to have its own built-in padded compartment.

Unless you are considering something fancy, I think you could get both the silicone jacket and a neoprene sleeve relatively inexpensively - certainly these are very common items which you wouldn't need to pay a premium.

I got the Treegloo because (i) I've always wanted a Moleskine-style case, (ii) they offer a historical Paris city map as a customization option (nostalgia, as I backpacked there in my undergrad days) and (iii) the price was right. In terms of heft and volume, it's exactly like a hardcover book (whereas a naked iPad would be more of a trade paperback.)

dbscothorn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got my Dodocase in the mail. It's a bit pricey but love the look and "book-like" feel of it. Check out their site... dodocase.com

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of the Moleskine-style cases, DodoCase has quite a few problems with durability and reliability, though. There are no shortage of reports and reviews (including a number of well-publicized YouTube videos) about its defects - the iPad falling out, the corner pads wearing out, the frame coming apart, etc (e.g. DODOcase for iPad - just received mine - Page 17 - MacRumors Forums)

Although in many instances, the company has replaced defective cases under warranty, what's more concerning is that these are ongoing problems which the company is either unable (or unwilling) to fix. It seems to be a pattern where ex-DodoCase owners have moved on to other vendors like Portenzo and Treegloo, which are better designed and constructed.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have ordered a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DIYMXC"]Incipio NGP for Apple iPad - Matte Cerulean[/ame]. Supposedly,
  • Ultra thin, soft, and impact resistant carrying solution.
  • Made from a next generation polymer, this carrying solution is tear and elongation resistant.
  • Will not fade or become sticky.
If it works then part of the problem solved.

I have also ordered a Mineral color REI Tech Wrap Laptop Sleeve - X Small. I saw a uTube video of someone that had one for his iPad and it looked exactly like what I needed.

I guess I can always send them back. If I do, I will edit this post so readers will know I was not a happy camper.

Mike

Edit: The Incipio is all that they say it is. A bit of protection for the sides and back coupled with the Zagg shield.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good choice. Incipio has a pretty good reputation (although maybe they over-market their products sometimes, I feel.)

HuskerPrideinMI

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I'm really surprised after all the reviews I read, but I hated the zaggmate keyboard case :(. Don't get me wrong, it's very well made. I honestly just prefer the on screen keyboard. I'm a quick touch typist and getting used to the keys just wasn't working. Also the arrow keys didn't have the functionality. I couldn't scroll down on google or ipf. I can definitely see how it could be a great product, just not for me.

Alkra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I prefer the zoogue case. I don't think they sell from retailers, might want to google it though, but their website is iPad Cases (.ZooGue.)
It's the typical nice leather case like many other cases but it also has velcro straps which you can adjust to many different angles when in landscape mode. Its really great for using on your bed, setting it on a table, in the kitchen when cooking etc...

Also has a strap to attach it to the back of a headrest of a seat in a car, great for kids be it watching something or playing a game.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found the Defender to be too heavy and bulky for my needs. I wanted to maintain as small a footprint as possible as I carry it around the house. I tried the Commuter but could not get my iPad in without scratching my Zagg shield and finally sent it back too.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my Saddleback Leather iPad case and I LOVE IT!!!!! Beautiful, protective and functional...

treker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$2.69 Ipad Case

I use a simple and inexpensive black neoprene sleeve from ebay. Ipad is completely protected from scratches and marring. Ipad fits nicely inside and is not builky for my backpack. It also offers some protection from a fall. Nothing fancy and not a fashion statement, for sure. It does exactly what I wanted...everyday protection while carrying my ipad.

Perceptions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen this case which seems pretty cool in terms of function.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MpTGqOeOpE[/ame]

I haven't seen any stores carry it though.

Last edited:

NotMyRealName

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ClamCase

I just got the ClamCase. I like it. Works as they said. Bluetooth works great. Now I think I need a case to carry the whole thing. Silly?

k1rs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My best case!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hay, for me my ZooGue Genius iPad Case has By far the MOST disabled friendly well made iPad case ive tried. COUNTING DOWN 4 IPAD 2 CASE :) O YES the Ipad 2!!
iPad Cases (.ZooGue.) ;)

Attachments

• zoogue-1.jpg
    zoogue-1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 452
  • zoogue-2.jpg
    zoogue-2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 458
  • zoogue-3.jpg
    zoogue-3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 447
  • zoogue-4.jpg