What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best iPad 3 for me.

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not going to have any movies or songs or a lot of pictures, just apps, so would you agree that a 16gb with 4g is better than a wifi only 32gb iPad? I would like my iPad one to have 3g sometimes, when I work a double shift at work I can have an hour to two or three hours of break and internet that's not draining my Droid razr would be amazing. This decision is based off thirty dollars difference. I just wanted to know your opinions with my personal uses

L

Lunar

Well if you think you will definately use the 3g/4g then the answers obvious, if your never going to be putting any films or large numbers of pics then the 16gb will be fine, it's surprising how many apps and stuff you can get on 16gb... (well it's actually nearer 14gb.)

I'm retired and we tend to have a lot of holidays 8 or 9 a year with quite a few short breaks inbetween so I do like to have quite a few films installed, infact I have about 40 of my fav films on mine & still have about 15gb free, though it is the 64gb version... was hoping they would have increased it to 128gb ;-)

I was very undecided myself yesterday whether to buy Just the Wifi version at £559 here in the UK or to pay £659 for the 4G, and was still undecided until the very last minute. I have used the 3g a few times on my iPad 1 when on holidays etc, but figured as I have the ability on my smart phone it was now less important on the iPad. In the end I went with the 4G version and payed the extra £100. I suppose mainly because I'm fortunate in that the £100 was not a great amount to me, and I suppose even if I may not use it now, I may do so in the future, so I suppose I opted for it just in case I needed it at some time, as obviously it's something you can't add later.

In the USA I believe 4G is getting more widespread, while here in the UK it hasn't even been ratified properly yet and IMO probably won't be widely available across the UK for another 2 or 3 years at least not mainstream anyway, if we had got 4G now I don't think my indecisiveness would have been so bad...lol

So.. go for the 16gb if you definately will use the 3g/4g and your sure you wont be wanting to put any films ect on it.. enjoy.

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 64gb.... I know that I have the extra space, and I will never have to worry, especially with the size of the apps now, modern combat 3 takes 1.8 gb lol if I were you I would go with at least a 32gb

Apps are going to get pretty big, to support this retina display.

OP
W

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, and would be cool to have a lot of films on mine but I settle with YouTube and Netflix just fine :) and I am in the USA so 4g is good I have it on my razr. With the 4g though, how much data is used from YouTube and Netflix? I'd be getting 2gb cap plan.

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wingless said:
Thanks guys, and would be cool to have a lot of films on mine but I settle with YouTube and Netflix just fine :) and I am in the USA so 4g is good I have it on my razr. With the 4g though, how much data is used from YouTube and Netflix? I'd be getting 2gb cap plan.
Streaming video from Netflix and YouTube would add up a lot but I don't think you would reach that limit.

MarbellaSD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[I something similar as part of another reply in another thread but this is a more appropriate place for it...]

I also am wondering what to buy. I have and love the 16G iPad1 3G and have been fine on capacity, although at times I've had to delete stuff to be able to upload a movie or pics while traveling. So Im thinking I should go with 32G to be able to keep more photos etc. on the iPad. I'm considering either the new iPad 4G (32G) with either Verizon or AT&T or a used iPad 2 32G 3G with AT&T (the VZ iPad2 is not dual band, which I want for European and other travel). I don't play games, use iPad a lot for email, Web, movies/tv shows and books when I travel, have started looking at some magazines as well. Not sure how much that will change if I get the newer one.

Any thoughts on 2 vs. new, VZ vs. AT&T? I've been reading the forums and see that posters love the new iPad, many people with iPad2s are not upgrading while others are and both are happy with their respective decisions. Thanks in advance! (And I will be getting my first iPhone this fall--not that I think that makes a difference to this question.)

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MarbellaSD said:
I also am wondering what to buy. I have and love the 16G iPad1 3G and have been fine on capacity, although at times I've had to delete stuff to be able to upload a movie or pics while traveling. So Im thinking I should go with 32G to be able to keep more photos etc. on the iPad. I'm considering either the new iPad 4G (32G) with either Verizon or AT&T or a used iPad 2 32G 3G with AT&T (the VZ iPad2 is not dual band, which I want for European and other travel). I don't play games, use iPad a lot for email, Web, movies/tv shows and books when I travel, have started looking at some magazines as well. Not sure how much that will change if I get the newer one.

Any thoughts on 2 vs. new, VZ vs. AT&T? I've been reading the forums and see that posters love the new iPad, many people with iPad2s are not upgrading while others are and both are happy with their respective decisions. Thanks in advance! (And I will be getting my first iPhone this fall--not that I think that makes a difference to this question.)

If you have the cash I highly recommend that you get the new iPad you should get the 32 gig gigabyte and you will be extremely happy with it the screen is just amazing, and a bit faster. But the screen makes it all worth it. Do yourself a favor and get the new iPad :)

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, and a proponent of more storage. More and more apps going "retina", you'll want the room.

MarbellaSD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have the cash I highly recommend that you get the new iPad you should get the 32 gig gigabyte and you will be extremely happy with it the screen is just amazing, and a bit faster. But the screen makes it all worth it. Do yourself a favor and get the new iPad :)

Thanks. THe general feeling seems to be that from 1st generation, go to the new one; from iPad2, less "incentive" to upgrade. I just looked at the Apple Store's refurbished iPad prices, and the iPad2 32G, 3G is $579. I can get a new one with 4G for $729, so based on what I'm reading, that is the way I'm leaning. Still not sure to go with VZ or AT&T. AT&T worked fine for me in US but was lousy in India (though it showed coverage, didn't perform even then I had 3-4 bars) and some areas of Europe. I can sell my old iPad for at least $170; haven't looked at private party sales (unless my husband wants it, which he may.)

Most reactions

Latest posts